Transition matrix element and Isospin

In summary, the conversation discusses a common problem in finding the relation between cross sections of processes, using the Wigner-Eckart theorem to decompose the strong Hamiltonian operator into two pieces with definite isospins, and applying the theorem to calculate weak decay amplitudes for K^{0} \to \pi^{+}\pi^{-} and K^{0} \to \pi^{0}\pi^{0} processes. Additionally, it explores the experimental observation that \frac{T \left( K^{0} \to \pi^{+}\pi^{-}\right)}{T \left( K^{0} \to \pi^{0}\pi^{0} \right)} \approx \sqrt{2} and
Xico Sim
Hi, guys.

A type of problem that often appears is to find the relation between cross sections of some processes. An example would be:

$$\pi _{- }+ p \rightarrow K_0 + \Sigma_0$$
$$\pi _{- }+ p \rightarrow K_+ + \Sigma_-$$
$$\pi _{+}+ p \rightarrow K_+ + \Sigma_+$$

To do this, I argue that

$$\sigma \, \alpha \, \Gamma \, \alpha \, M$$

with ##M## the transition matrix element.

In this case, the interactions are strong. I write the initial and final states for each process in the ##{I,i}## basis and I then write ##M=\langle i | H_s | f \rangle##.

I end up getting, for example for the third process: ##M=\langle 3/2,3/2 | H_s | 3/2, 3/2 \rangle##.
For the first process, I get one term of the form ##\langle 3/2,-1/2 | H_s | 3/2,-1/2 \rangle##.

My question: are there two expressions I just wrote equal? i.e. does ##M=\langle I,i | H_s | I,i' \rangle## depend only on the value of ##I##? Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. According to the Wigner-Eckart theorem, the matrix elements of a tensor operator [itex]\mathcal{H}^{M}_{I}[/itex], having isospin [itex]I[/itex] and third component value [itex]M[/itex], factorize as
[tex]\langle I_{2}, m_{2}| \mathcal{H}^{M}_{I}| I_{1},m_{1} \rangle = \langle I_{2},m_{2}| I,M ; I_{1},m_{1}\rangle \langle I_{2}|| \mathcal{H}_{I}|| I_{1}\rangle ,[/tex] where the first factor on the RHS is the Clebsch-Gordon coefficient and the second factor is the reduced matrix element, which is independent of [itex]m_{1},m_{2}[/itex] and [itex]M[/itex]. The processes, you listed, proceed through either [itex]I = 3/2[/itex] or [itex]I = 1/2[/itex] channels. So, your strong Hamiltonian operator can be decomposed into two pieces with definite isospins: [itex]\mathcal{H}_{s} = \mathcal{H}_{3/2} + \mathcal{H}_{1/2}[/itex], and the problem is solved by reading the corresponding C-G cofficients.

Last edited:
Likes Xico Sim
samalkhaiat said:
Yes. According to the Wigner-Eckart theorem, the matrix elements of a tensor operator [itex]\mathcal{H}^{M}_{I}[/itex], having isospin [itex]I[/itex] and third component value [itex]M[/itex], factorize as
[tex]\langle I_{2}, m_{2}| \mathcal{H}^{M}_{I}| I_{1},m_{1} \rangle = \langle I_{2},m_{2}| I,M ; I_{1},m_{1}\rangle \langle I_{2}|| \mathcal{H}_{I}|| I_{1}\rangle ,[/tex] where the first factor on the RHS is the Clebsch-Gordon coefficient and the second factor is the reduced matrix element, which is independent of [itex]m_{1},m_{2}[/itex] and [itex]M[/itex]. The processes, you listed, proceed through either [itex]I = 3/2[/itex] or [itex]I = 1/2[/itex] channels. So, your strong Hamiltonian operator can be decomposed into two pieces with definite isospins: [itex]\mathcal{H}_{s} = \mathcal{H}_{3/2} + \mathcal{H}_{1/2}[/itex], and the problem is solved by reading the corresponding C-G cofficients.

What if it's the weak interaction? Should't the matrix elements behave the same way?

Xico Sim said:
What if it's the weak interaction? Should't the matrix elements behave the same way?

The Wigner-Eckart theorem is a general statement about tensor operators. These tensor operators can (but they don’t have to) describe interactions. And, when the tensor operators do describe interactions, the type of interaction is not relevant. So, when the assumptions of the theorem are satisfied, you can apply it to the strong, weak or electromagnetic interactions.
Okay, here is an exercise for you. Use the Wigner-Eckart theorem to calculate the (non-leptonic) weak decay amplitudes for [tex]K^{0} \to \pi^{+}\pi^{-} , \ \ \ \ K^{0} \to \pi^{0}\pi^{0} .[/tex]
Experimentally, it has been observed that [tex]\frac{T \left( K^{0} \to \pi^{+}\pi^{-}\right)}{T \left( K^{0} \to \pi^{0}\pi^{0} \right)} \approx \sqrt{2} .[/tex] Translate this into relation between amplitudes.
Hint: Ignoring Dirac’s gamma matrices, the low-energy (non-leptonic) weak Hamiltonian can be written as [tex]\mathcal{H}^{\Delta S = 1}_{(w)} = \frac{G}{\sqrt{2}}\left( [\bar{u}d][\bar{s}u] + h.c. \right) .[/tex] The first factor has [itex]I = 1[/itex], and the second factor has [itex]I = 1/2[/itex]. So, you have the following isospin decomposition [tex]\mathcal{H}^{\Delta S = 1}_{(w)} = \mathcal{H}_{1 \otimes \frac{1}{2}} = \mathcal{H}_{\frac{3}{2} \oplus \frac{1}{2}} = \mathcal{H}_{3/2} + \mathcal{H}_{1/2} .[/tex]

Likes vanhees71

Related to Transition matrix element and Isospin

1. What is a transition matrix element?

A transition matrix element, also known as a transition probability amplitude, is a mathematical quantity used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of a particle transitioning from one state to another.

2. How is a transition matrix element calculated?

A transition matrix element is calculated by taking the inner product of the initial and final states of the particle. This involves using the wavefunctions of the particle in each state and applying the appropriate mathematical operators.

3. What is the significance of isospin in a transition matrix element?

Isospin is a quantum number that describes the symmetry of particles with similar properties, such as protons and neutrons. In a transition matrix element, isospin is used to determine the probability of a particle transitioning between states with different isospin values.

4. How does the isospin of a particle affect its transition matrix element?

The isospin of a particle affects its transition matrix element through the conservation of isospin, which states that the total isospin of a system must remain constant during a transition. This can lead to certain selection rules that restrict the possible transitions between states.

5. Can transition matrix elements be experimentally measured?

Yes, transition matrix elements can be experimentally measured through techniques such as scattering experiments or spectroscopy. These measurements can provide valuable information about the properties and behavior of particles and their interactions.