Transitioning from Physics to Bio-mechanical Engineering

In summary, if you are interested in studying biomechanical engineering, you should have a look at the programs that are of greatest interest to you and then work with the faculty who run those programs to see if they have any suggestions.
Felix Gonzales
I know this isn't "EngineeringForums" but I'm curious if anyone has any experience with taking a physics undergrad degree and then studying engineering for their masters. I have a couple engineering friends and the math is basically the same so far, though is there anything I should know? Study? Watch out for? Just looking for tips! And yes I realize bio-mechanical engineering requires a background with biology but I'm already taking care of that part.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps the biggest difference you will encounter is one of sense of purpose. Science is about discovering knowledge, that is, knowledge for its own sake. Engineering is about accomplishing useful objectives. If we take a very simple example, consider a simple pendulum. The physicist studies the pendulum to discover just how it works, what laws govern its motion. The engineer may well study the same pendulum, but the motivation is more along the lines of "how can I use this to keep time?" Thus for the same physical system, the engineer and the physicist ask different questions.

On the very practical side, you may find yourself coming up short on specific undergraduate course work such as mechanics of materials, fluid dynamics, engineering kinematics, and thermodynamics of real systems.

Likes Felix Gonzales and DS2C
This coin has two sides: how to get admitted to a biomechanical engineering program with a physics degree and how to succeed in a biomechanical engineering program with a physics degree. There tends to be a wide variation in biomechanical engineering advanced degree programs, so rather than give advice that would be geared toward the programs I am most familiar with (that may be much different from yours), my advice is to have a hard look at the programs that are actually of greatest interest to you (and that you have a reasonable shot of admission into.)

The faculty who run those programs can likely look at your coursework and grades so far, together with the remaining course plan for your last two years of undergrad and give much better advice than strangers on the internet who are less familiar with your record and the graduate programs of interest. The outcome of this process might be a suggested list of undergrad engineering courses much like Dr. D suggested, or the suggested list of undergrad engineering courses might be much different. (My wife has a PhD in Biomechanical Engineering, and her suggested course list would be different.)

Likes Felix Gonzales

1. What skills from physics are transferable to bio-mechanical engineering?

Physics and bio-mechanical engineering both rely heavily on mathematical and analytical skills. This includes knowledge in calculus, differential equations, and statistics. Additionally, skills in experimental design, data analysis, and problem-solving are also applicable to both fields.

2. Do I need to have a background in biology to transition from physics to bio-mechanical engineering?

While a background in biology can be beneficial, it is not always necessary. Bio-mechanical engineering combines principles from physics, engineering, and biology, so having a strong foundation in physics is more important. However, it is recommended to have a basic understanding of biology concepts such as cellular structure and function.

3. What are the main differences between physics and bio-mechanical engineering?

Physics is a broad field that focuses on understanding the fundamental laws of nature and how they govern the behavior of matter and energy. Bio-mechanical engineering is a specialized field that applies principles from physics and engineering to understand the mechanics of biological systems. Bio-mechanical engineers also work with living organisms, while physicists typically work with non-living systems.

4. Are there any specific courses or certifications I should consider before transitioning to bio-mechanical engineering?

It is recommended to take courses in biology, anatomy, and physiology to gain a better understanding of the biological systems you will be working with. Additionally, courses in engineering, such as mechanics and materials science, can also be beneficial. There are also certifications available in bio-mechanical engineering, such as the Certified Bio-mechanical Engineering Technologist (CBET) certification.

5. What career opportunities are available for someone transitioning from physics to bio-mechanical engineering?

There are many career opportunities in bio-mechanical engineering, including research and development, product design, and medical device manufacturing. Bio-mechanical engineers also work in fields such as biomechanics, biomaterials, and tissue engineering. With the growing demand for advancements in medical technology, there is a high demand for skilled bio-mechanical engineers in various industries.