Transitioning military-Degree questions

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in pursuing an engineering degree after leaving the Navy. Due to their busy schedule, they are considering taking basic courses online and then completing the more technical classes in person. They mention difficulties in finding online options and ask for advice on how to proceed. Another person shares their experience with the Navy's equivalency program and advises the speaker to obtain as many certifications as possible. They also mention their own experience as a retired Shift Test Engineer and the challenges they faced in being recognized as professionals in the field.
Stunt2402
Hey all, I am in need of some guidance regarding an engineering degree. I'm currently a Navy Nuke and am set to leave the service in around 2 years. My schedule doesn't allow me to attend a brick and mortar school for the foreseeable future but I'd like to start working towards an engineering degree before I get out. I planned on taking the basic courses online with the understanding that the more technical classes would have to be taken later in person. I'm not finding too many options besides an engineering technology degree that I can take online. Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed or recommended schools? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Best wishes.

My EAOS was '75. Has the USN tightened up its promises of equivalency? You should have the equivalencies now by my subjective estimation. Newport News NNS used to consider C.2340 qualification equivalent to a postgraduate engineering degree, at that time based on six months classroom and their OJT beyond nuke school and qualifications.

Now it just says, "The STE program is best described by comparing it to a graduate level degree coupled with a management position in a large industrial complex." (http://www.navsea.navy.mil/shipyards/norfolk/nnsy/NuclearTED.aspx)

Get as many certifications of equivalency from the USN as you can. For us, it was pretty much a bait-and-switch joke.

I retired in 1995 as a Shift Test Engineer (title)/engineering technician (GS-12 position) (Manual for Control of Testing and Plant Conditions NS 0989-028-5000). As we unsuccessfully battled for professional status, Rickover called us his "evil necessities."

What degree programs are available to transitioning military members?

There are a variety of degree programs available to transitioning military members, including traditional academic programs, vocational programs, and online programs. Some popular degree options for transitioning military members include business, computer science, engineering, and healthcare.

Can I use my military experience for college credit?

Yes, many colleges and universities offer college credit for military experience. This is often referred to as "military credit" or "prior learning assessment." To receive credit, you will need to submit your military transcripts and complete any required assessments or evaluations.

Are there any special tuition benefits for transitioning military members?

Yes, there are several tuition benefits available to transitioning military members. These may include the Post-9/11 GI Bill, the Yellow Ribbon Program, and tuition assistance programs offered by each branch of the military. It's important to research and compare these benefits to find the best option for your education goals.

Can I start my degree program while still in the military?

Yes, many colleges and universities offer flexible programs that allow military members to start their degree while still on active duty. Some schools also offer accelerated programs that allow you to complete your degree in a shorter amount of time. It's important to communicate with your school and military unit to ensure you can balance your military responsibilities with your education.

What resources are available to help me navigate the process of transitioning from military to college?

There are several resources available to help transitioning military members navigate the process of going to college. These may include education counselors on base, veteran's organizations, and online resources such as the Department of Veterans Affairs website. Additionally, many colleges and universities have dedicated offices or programs specifically for supporting military students.