Trigonometric functions using accel & time

In summary: I'm glad I could help :smile:In summary, the skier races down an 18 degree ski slope and accelerates at 2.5m/s squared during a 5.0s interval. Using the formula d = ViT + 1/2aT^2, a right angle triangle was drawn with the hypotenuse being the incline slope. The horizontal and vertical components of the acceleration were found using the formula a_{y}=a_{t}(sin\Theta) and a_{x}=a_{t}(cos\Theta), where the angle of the incline is 18 degrees and the total acceleration is 2.5 m/s^2. The answers were a_{y}=-0
Xioxxi

Homework Statement

A skier races down an 18 degree ski slope. During a 5.0s interval, the

skier accelerates at 2.5m/s squared. What are the horizontal and vertical

components of the skiers acceleration during this time?

Homework Equations

d = ViT + 1/2aT^2
d=distance
Vi=initial velocity
T=time
a=acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a right angle triangle with the hypotenuse being the 18 degree incline slope the skier is descending on. The formula above is the only relevant one I've been able to find within my notes, and that's assuming initial velocity is zero (the "skier races" bit makes me suspicious). That said, when I solve it out with the formula, I get 31.25 for the hypotenuse. From there I try to use sin to figure out the bottom side of the triangle made by the downward acceleration, but I keep getting numbers like .59 or 9, which seem far too small for that specific side in relevance to the hypotenuse. I have a feeling this is just a stupid mistake, but our teacher has yet to go over using physics equations & trigonometric functions combined. I'd be extremely grateful for a push in the right direction.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, good. So you knew that you needed a right triangle.

But, you already have your hypotenuse.

You know that the acceleration vector of the skier is 2.5 m/s^2. So, 2.5 m/s^2 is the hypotenuse, correct?

You know that you have an 18 degree angle.

So, what does that make a[itex]_{x}[/itex] and a[itex]_{y}[/itex]?

Thanks for the quick reply! I thought that I was needing to use acceleration & time to find d then use sin/cos to find the other sides. How would I use an acceleration vector with the angle to find the other sides/accelerations? I'm also assuming that Ax and Ay are the non sloping part of the right angle triangle, right? Pardon my ignorance. This is the first physics class I've taken since 9th grade, and we still haven't gone over a whole lot in this one.

Xioxxi said:
Thanks for the quick reply! I thought that I was needing to use acceleration & time to find d then use sin/cos to find the other sides. How would I use an acceleration vector with the angle to find the other sides/accelerations? I'm also assuming that Ax and Ay are the non sloping part of the right angle triangle, right? Pardon my ignorance. This is the first physics class I've taken since 9th grade, and we still haven't gone over a whole lot in this one.
Yes, Ax and Ay are the non-sloping parts of the right angle triangle.

Do not worry about "ignorance." Ignorance would be not asking the questions. :smile:

And I'm a student as well. So don't worry.

Aggression200 said:
Yes, Ax and Ay are the non-sloping parts of the right angle triangle.

Do not worry about "ignorance." Ignorance would be not asking the questions. :smile:

And I'm a student as well. So don't worry.

I appreciate it. I'm unsure of how I would use an acceleration vector to find the other sides, though. Every other time I've done trigonometric functions prior to this I had an actual distance, which was why I was trying to find it as d at first.

Ok, so you would simply use either cos[itex]\Theta[/itex] or sin[itex]\Theta[/itex].

[itex]\Theta[/itex] = 18 degrees

Now, on your right triangle, which of the non-hypotenuse sides goes up and down, and which goes left and right?

The one that goes up and down is your a[itex]_{y}[/itex].
The one that goes left and right is your a[itex]_{x}[/itex].

a[itex]_{y}[/itex]=a[itex]_{t}[/itex](sin[itex]\Theta[/itex])
a[itex]_{x}[/itex]=a[itex]_{t}[/itex](cos[itex]\Theta[/itex]) Where a[itex]_{t}[/itex] is 2.5 m/s^2.

Correct?

Aggression200 said:
Ok, so you would simply use either cos[itex]\Theta[/itex] or sin[itex]\Theta[/itex].

[itex]\Theta[/itex] = 18 degrees

Now, on your right triangle, which of the non-hypotenuse sides goes up and down, and which goes left and right?

The one that goes up and down is your a[itex]_{y}[/itex].
The one that goes left and right is your a[itex]_{x}[/itex].

a[itex]_{y}[/itex]=a[itex]_{t}[/itex](sin[itex]\Theta[/itex])
a[itex]_{x}[/itex]=a[itex]_{t}[/itex](cos[itex]\Theta[/itex]) Where a[itex]_{t}[/itex] is 2.5 m/s^2.

Correct?

Alright, I believe I understand now. For a[itex]_{y}[/itex]=a[itex]_{t}[/itex](sin[itex]\Theta[/itex]), I got .77254 m/s[itex]^{2}[/itex]. I believe it'd be negative too since the acceleration is going downward for that specific part, right?

Then for a[itex]_{x}[/itex]=a[itex]_{t}[/itex](cos[itex]\Theta[/itex]) I got 2.377 m/s[itex]^{2}[/itex]

These feel like much better answers than what I was getting prior. I appreciate the help immensely.

Xioxxi said:
Alright, I believe I understand now. For a[itex]_{y}[/itex]=a[itex]_{t}[/itex](sin[itex]\Theta[/itex]), I got .77254 m/s[itex]^{2}[/itex]. I believe it'd be negative too since the acceleration is going downward for that specific part, right?

Then for a[itex]_{x}[/itex]=a[itex]_{t}[/itex](cos[itex]\Theta[/itex]) I got 2.377 m/s[itex]^{2}[/itex]

These feel like much better answers than what I was getting prior. I appreciate the help immensely.

You are right as far as I can tell.

Acceleration in the y-direction will be negative and will be positive in the x-direction.

If you wish to check your answers, just do this...

a[itex]_{t}[/itex]=[itex]\sqrt{a_{x}^{2}+a_{y}^{2}}[/itex]

You're very welcome for the help.

What are trigonometric functions?

Trigonometric functions are mathematical functions that relate the angles and sides of a right triangle. They are used to calculate the ratios of the sides of a triangle, such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

How are trigonometric functions used with acceleration and time?

Trigonometric functions can be used to calculate the acceleration of an object over time. By using the trigonometric ratios and the values of the sides of a right triangle, the acceleration can be determined using the formula a = v/t, where v is the velocity and t is the time.

What is the relationship between trigonometric functions and motion?

Trigonometric functions are closely related to motion, as they can be used to describe the motion of an object in terms of its position, velocity, and acceleration. The sine and cosine functions are often used to model periodic motion, while the tangent function is used to describe the slope of a curve.

How are trigonometric functions used in real-world applications?

Trigonometric functions have a wide range of real-world applications, including engineering, physics, and astronomy. They are used to calculate distances, angles, and velocities in various fields, such as navigation, surveying, and satellite tracking.

What is the importance of understanding trigonometric functions in science?

Trigonometric functions are fundamental to many scientific disciplines, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. They provide a way to describe and analyze the relationships between different quantities, making them essential for solving complex problems and understanding the natural world.