Trigonometry Algebraic problem

In summary: So in this problem "pi over 2" is referring to the angle between the x-axis and the line perpendicular to the y-axis that goes through the origin. The angle between the x-axis and the line perpendicular to the y-axis that goes through the origin.
hunter45
Hello,

Could you please help me with a problem that I saw in my exam? I have tried to solve it but end up getting one solution which is not correct. There happens to be 2 solutions to the problem which appear periodically.

The problem has to be algebraically solved without the use of a graphing calculator so I would appreciate if working is given.

Equation 1: p(x) = 5000 cos [∏/2 (x-1)] + 6000
Equation 2: p(x) = 15000 cos [∏/2 (x+((∏/2)-1))] + 25000

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What does the problem ask for? The value of x? And are the functions in eqn 1 and 2 different? You denoted one of them by p and the other one by P.

Millennial said:
What does the problem ask for? The value of x? And are the functions in eqn 1 and 2 different? You denoted one of them by p and the other one by P.

Yes, solve for x. All I know is that you must equate them. I do not know where to go from there.

Equate them and do the necessary simplifications, then use the cosine sum formulae to expand the cosines.

Millennial said:
Equate them and do the necessary simplifications, then use the cosine sum formulae to expand the cosines.

Thats what I did but the answer is still incorrect. Could you please work it out so I can see how to do it correct.

No, at PF, it is the policy for you to show your work. We will examine it and note any flaws in your reasoning and/or calculations.

I don't think that this is a trigonometric equation so to speak in the sense of solving for x, what it looks like to me is a Cosine graph in which the vertical shift is +6000, the amplitude is 5000 and the period for cosine is "2pi over b". "b" in this case is "Pi over 2." "2Pi" divided by "Pi over 2" is 4. So that is your period for this cosine graph. This problem requires you to make a table which is almost impossible for me to describe in words but basically the top row would be 0, pi/2, pi, 3pi/2, and 2pi. I'm sorry this reads confusing because I don't know where the Pi button is yet. In trigonometry pi over 2 also refers to 90 degrees and pi refers to 180 degrees.

Related to Trigonometry Algebraic problem

What is Trigonometry Algebraic problem?

Trigonometry Algebraic problem is a branch of mathematics that combines both trigonometry and algebra. It involves solving equations and problems that incorporate both trigonometric functions and algebraic expressions.

What are the basic trigonometric functions used in Trigonometry Algebraic problem?

The basic trigonometric functions used in Trigonometry Algebraic problem are sine (sin), cosine (cos), tangent (tan), cotangent (cot), secant (sec), and cosecant (csc).

How is Trigonometry Algebraic problem used in real life?

Trigonometry Algebraic problem is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, astronomy, and navigation. It is used to solve problems involving angles and distances, as well as to analyze and design structures and machines.

What are some common techniques for solving Trigonometry Algebraic problems?

Some common techniques for solving Trigonometry Algebraic problems include using trigonometric identities, the unit circle, and the Pythagorean theorem. It is also important to have a good understanding of algebraic concepts such as factoring and solving equations.

Are there any tips for mastering Trigonometry Algebraic problem?

Practice is key to mastering Trigonometry Algebraic problem. It is important to understand the underlying concepts and formulas, and to solve a variety of problems to become comfortable with the techniques. Additionally, using visual aids and mnemonic devices can also be helpful in remembering the formulas and identities.