Trouble dealing with vector coordinates in question

In summary, the rocket is tasked with rendezvousing with a satellite and has a velocity of (10 + 0 + 0) ms−1 relative to the satellite. Mission control has sent a command for the rocket's side thruster to exert a force of (0 − 100 + 0) N for 100 seconds. This results in a change in momentum of 14142.1 kgm/s in the vector coordinates of the rocket.
bushabean

Homework Statement

A rocket is to rendezvous with a satellite and needs to make a course adjustment.
the rocket has a velocity = (10 + 0 + 0) ms−1 relative to the satellite and mission control has sent a command to the rocket side thruster to exert a thrust = (0 − 100 + 0) N for 100 seconds.

(i) What is the force exerted on the rocket from the side thruster in vector coordinates?

(ii) Calculate the momentum of the rocket in vector coordinates after the thruster has operated. (3)

2. Homework Equations

Ft = mv - mu
p = mv
F = ma
a = Δv/Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) I assume this is the equal and opposite force? being (0 +100 + 0)

(ii) I feel there are many ways to tackle this problem but every time I fail. Is the force (0 +100 + 0) after the 100s or do I have to multiply it by the time, assuming that (0 +100 + 0) is even correct? I tried doing:

F = ma
100 = 1000 * a
a = 1/10 m/s^2

a = Δv/Δt
0.1 = Δv/100
Δv = 10m/s

add that 10m/s to the to get (10 + 10 + 0)

Take the magnitude of the velocity to get 10√2

p = mv
p = 1000 * 10√2
p = 14142.1 kgm/s

But that seems so complicated it just can't be true. Any help would be appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
bushabean said:
(i) I assume this is the equal and opposite force? being (0 +100 + 0)
I don't see why. If the command is to exert thrust 0,-100,0 then that is the thrust it should exert.

bushabean said:
p = 14142.1 kgm/s
Read the question:
bushabean said:
momentum of the rocket in vector coordinates

1. What are vector coordinates?

Vector coordinates are numerical values that represent the position or movement of an object in a specific direction. They are typically represented in a multi-dimensional space, with each dimension representing a different direction.

2. How do I deal with vector coordinates in my research?

To deal with vector coordinates in your research, it is important to have a solid understanding of vector algebra and geometry. You will also need to use mathematical tools such as matrices and vectors to manipulate and analyze the data.

3. What are some common challenges when working with vector coordinates?

Some common challenges when working with vector coordinates include understanding the concept of vector addition and subtraction, dealing with different coordinate systems, and visualizing multi-dimensional data.

4. How can I improve my understanding of vector coordinates?

To improve your understanding of vector coordinates, you can practice using mathematical tools and solving problems related to vectors and coordinates. Additionally, seeking out resources such as textbooks or online tutorials can also be helpful.

5. Can vector coordinates be used in multiple fields of science?

Yes, vector coordinates are used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, computer science, and many more. They are a fundamental concept in many scientific disciplines and are essential for understanding and analyzing complex systems and data.