Trouble finding the Linear Functions that satisfy the given Identity

In summary, to find all linear functions that satisfy the given identity, let f(x) = ax + b and solve for a and b using the given information. This will give two possible solutions for f(x). Repeat this process for the second problem to find two more possible solutions.
SolXero

Homework Statement

Given f[f(x)] = 2x + 1 find all linear functions that satisfy this identity.
Given f[f[f(x)]] = 2x + 1 find all linear functions that satisfy this identity.

2. The attempt at a solution

I have not started to attempt a solution at this because I have no idea how to do these types of problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
SolXero said:

Homework Statement

Given f[f(x)] = 2x + 1 find all linear functions that satisfy this identity.
Given f[f[f(x)]] = 2x + 1 find all linear functions that satisfy this identity.

2. The attempt at a solution

I have not started to attempt a solution at this because I have no idea how to do these types of problems.
You're give that f(x) is a linear function, so let f(x) = ax + b.
For the first problem, you know that f(f(x)) = 2x + 1, so f(ax + b) = 2x + 1, or a(ax + b) + b = 2x + 1. Solve for a and b. Hint: a and b are not rational numbers.

Solve the second problem in a similar manner.

Thanks a lot!

For the first problem the answer would be:

f(x) = √2x + (-1+√2) and
f(x) = √2x + (-1-√2)

right?

I have yet to do the second one.

Yes.

Related to Trouble finding the Linear Functions that satisfy the given Identity

What is a Linear Function?

A linear function is a mathematical function that can be represented by a straight line on a graph. It has the general form y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept.

Why is it important to find Linear Functions that satisfy a given identity?

Identifying the correct linear functions that satisfy a given identity is important in order to accurately model and predict real-world phenomena. This can be used in various fields such as economics, engineering, and physics.

What are some common strategies for finding Linear Functions that satisfy a given identity?

One common strategy is to plug in different values for the variables in the given identity and solve for the missing variable. Another strategy is to use the slope-intercept form to determine the slope and y-intercept of the linear function.

What are some common challenges in finding Linear Functions that satisfy a given identity?

Sometimes, the given identity may not have enough information to determine a unique linear function. In other cases, the identity may have multiple solutions, making it difficult to determine the correct one.

How can technology be used to help find Linear Functions that satisfy a given identity?

Technology, such as graphing calculators or software, can be used to graph the given identity and visually identify the linear function that satisfies it. This can also be used to check the accuracy of hand-calculated solutions.