Troubleshooting Grtensor and Maple 11 Installation

• Maple
  • Thread starter Pacopag
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maple
In summary, the person is trying to install grtensor into Maple, but is having difficulty defining new tensors. They say that forward quotes work instead of back quotes, and that they had to teach Maple how to load metrics before they were able to use grtensor.
Pacopag
Hello everyone;
This is my first time in the physics forums, or any forum for that matter, so please accept my apologies if I am posting this in the wrong place.

I have just installed grtensorII into Maple 11. I am running it on Fedora 7. The install seems to have worked, although I did have to tweak some of the commands (compared to those in the install guide, which I guess was written for windows users) in order to get it to work. I can load the libraries, and I can load most of the pre-defined objects (e.g. Schwarzschild geometry, Ricci tensor, Christoffel, etc). My problem arises when I try to define new tensors. Even if I enter examples straight from the manual exactly as they are written, it spits out errors at me. Here's an example:
grdef ( 'u{a} := [0,f(r),0,g(r)]' ):
Here I am just trying to define a covariant vector, where the functions f(r) and g(r) are specified, but this just doesn't work. I am getting the syntax from Document D: Defining new Tensors, Section 5, Number 9, from the documentation that comes with GRtensor II.
There also seems to be a problem when I try to define a tensor with contravariant indices because the 'carat' character causes maple to think that I want to enter an exponent. If I override this with \^, it gives me an "invalid power" error.

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
after hours of banging my head, I got it working. I was using forward quotes instead of back quotes around the assignment statement. Silly.

Cheers.

May I ask how did you teach Maple loading your metrics? I had a hard time to do that in OS X and still can't get any output from qload(mink) for instance.

@smirshekari: Is your GrTensorII installed correctly? If so, it should see the metric directory by itself. And of course, before

qload(mink)

do you call grtensorii by

grtw()

and while installing grtensorii, have you copied maple.ini to the maple directory?

Thank you. It is woking now, but I don't know how where are my metrics? :( Any preferred address to look up in?

hello,
i am ashmita. i am using as operating system ubuntu11.10
and i have installed mathematica version 8.0. i am trying to add grtensor
package to mathematica. as per the instruction i have moved the
grii/directory to packages directory of mathematica then i have written
the command <<grii/grt.m to the mathematica notebook page and it is
displaying:

GRTensorM Version 1.2 for Mathematica 3.x
July 20, 1998
Copyright 1996-98 by P. Musgrave, D. Pollney and K. Lake
Update by Mustapha Ishak B.
Use qload[] or grload[] to load a metric.
?grtensor for help.
Metric directory = "/group/local/math/Packages/grii/metrics/"

.but then whenever i am writing suppose qload[schw] it is displaying:

Failed to read /group/local/math/Packages/grii/metrics/schw.g
$Aborted

I don't understand why this problem is occurring. I will be highly obliged
if you can give me any advise to resolve this issue completely.

Related to Troubleshooting Grtensor and Maple 11 Installation

What is Grtensor and Maple 11?

Grtensor is a software package used for performing tensor calculations and solving differential equations in the field of general relativity. Maple 11 is a mathematical software program that includes tools for symbolic computations, data visualization, and programming.

Why is troubleshooting necessary for installing Grtensor and Maple 11?

Since both Grtensor and Maple 11 are complex software programs, there may be technical issues that arise during installation. Troubleshooting is necessary to identify and resolve these issues in order to successfully install and use the programs.

What are some common issues encountered during the installation of Grtensor and Maple 11?

Some common issues include compatibility problems with the operating system, missing or corrupted files, and incorrect installation settings. These can lead to error messages or the programs not functioning properly.

How can I troubleshoot the installation of Grtensor and Maple 11?

The first step is to carefully follow the installation instructions provided by the software. If an error message appears, it can provide clues as to what the issue may be. Checking for updates and ensuring the system meets the minimum requirements can also help resolve installation problems.

Are there any resources available for troubleshooting Grtensor and Maple 11 installation?

Yes, both Grtensor and Maple 11 have official websites with support forums and documentation that can help troubleshoot installation issues. Additionally, there are online communities and forums where users can share their experiences and seek assistance from others who have encountered similar problems.