Enhancing Circuit Design: Adding a Second Solenoid in Parallel

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a circuit with two solenoids in parallel to achieve a higher power output using an Arduino. The speaker has successfully wired one solenoid using a 12 V adapter, a TIP120 darlington transistor, a 1N004 diode, and the Arduino. They now want to add another solenoid and ask for advice on what else they need in the circuit. Suggestions include adding an additional diode and a 1 ohm, 1 watt resistor in series, or duplicating the current circuit and adding decoupling capacitance.
marcktz
Hi - I am designing a circuit with two solenoids (12 V, 1 Amp each) in parallel in order to get power of two upon activation using an arduino.
I am able to wire one solenoid using 12 V adapter rated 3 Amp, 1 TIP120 darlington transistor, 1N004 diode and Arduino connected to base of the transistor. It works, however I want to add another solenoid in parallel, what else do I need in this circuit? attached is the circuit for one solenoid.

Attachments

• solenoid.jpg
    solenoid.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 772
Engineering news on Phys.org
4001 is a one amp diode so 2 amps , one from each coil overloads it slightly,
but it has good surge capability .
Coils are about 12 ohms ?( 12v 1 amp)
Just tack your other solenoid and its diode right in parallel
But with about an ohm in series with each of the diodes so they'll share flywheel current equally
1 ohm 1 watt should do well and last forever, unless you're cycling these solenoids on - off rapidly for a long time. Then go to 2 watt.. Or use a single two amp diode.

my two cents (overpriced at that)

old jim

Likes cnh1995
Another option is to just double the circuit you have there. You then have the option of using half force if you need to conserve energy. For example if your device requires both solenoids for actuation but a lot less to keep it in the final position.

BoB

marcktz said:
what else do I need in this circuit?
I would add decoupling capacitance across your 12V source. Probably a 10uF, 25V electrolytic in parallel with a 1uF ceramic cap.

1. What is the purpose of connecting two solenoids in parallel?

Connecting two solenoids in parallel allows for a stronger magnetic field to be produced, as the individual magnetic fields of the solenoids will add together.

2. How does the current flow in a parallel solenoid circuit?

In a parallel solenoid circuit, the current will split and flow through each solenoid separately, combining at the end to create a stronger magnetic field.

3. What is the effect of adding more solenoids in parallel?

Adding more solenoids in parallel will further increase the strength of the magnetic field produced, as the individual magnetic fields will continue to add together.

4. Can two solenoids with different properties be connected in parallel?

Yes, two solenoids with different properties can be connected in parallel. However, it is important to consider the differences in their properties and how they may affect the overall circuit.

5. What is the difference between connecting solenoids in series and parallel?

When solenoids are connected in series, the current flows through each solenoid in the same direction, creating a stronger magnetic field. In parallel, the current splits and flows through each solenoid separately, combining at the end to create a stronger magnetic field.