Troubleshooting Links Not Working on HP Computer: Possible Solutions

• Thread starter Naty1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Links
In summary, after Windows automatic updates went out during the last week, links in e-mails and on websites like Physicsforums stopped working. Resetting to default, disabling third party browser addons, and checking security settings did not help. After restoring to a previous date, the problem was resolved.
Naty1
A few days ago any links in e-mails or in sites like Physicsfoums stopped
working...I click on them but do not get connected. I made no changes
of which I am aware.

Setup: HP computer, Windows Vista, Internet Explorer, Yahoo e-mail...

Searches typed in at tabs [top of page] connect
properly.

Any suggestions on how this happened and more importantly, how do I correct this??
Thank you.

Computer science news on Phys.org
my usual first step with any problems IE related is to reset it back to default. So i'd give that a go and see if it helps.

Open IE, tools>Options>Advanced>Reset>Delete Personal Settings
then restart IE>Tools>Options>Advanced>Browswing>Uncheck Enable 3rd party browser addons
CLick on security tab>Reset all zones to default
Restart IE and test to see if everything is ok

ROUTARAN:
You,sir, or madame or whatever are a GENIUS...
BRAVO...EDIT: OOPS...SPOKE TOO SOON...
[I tried one...on a website...it did work...BUT
then
I tried various other links, as in Physicforums...

still NOT working!
I double checked and verified "enable third party browser addons" IS still unchecked as suggested...so am still stuck...

?

I had already tried reset to default so the following must have been the answer:

What does uncheck 'Enable 3rd party browser addons' fix the issue...?

It sounds like one would need those, whatever they are...

I hate Microsoft!

Last edited:
Antivirus?

Have you tried to use a real browser, or do you stick with IE?

I doubt that you need to enable 3rd party brower addons. My guess is that somehow the browser (IE) thinks that sites like PF and Yahoo are unsafe and is stripping out links in pages that come from these sites.

Try this:
In IE, click the Tools dropdown menu, then Internet Options.
In Internet Options, click the Security tab. By default the Internet icon is selected. On my computer, running XP SP3 and IE8, security for the Internet zone is set at Medium High. What is yours set to?
Still in Internet Options, click the Security tab, and then select the Restricted sites icon. If there are sites in this zone (such as PF and Yahoo) they should be listed there. By clicking the Sites button you can add or remove sites from this zone.

Hope that helps!

Borek said:
Antivirus?

Have you tried to use a real browser, or do you stick with IE?
I've tried real browsers, and I still like IE! Especially the F12 debugging tools, which are as good as or better than the corresponding tools in Firefox and Safari.

Mark44 said:
I've tried real browsers, and I still like IE!

Let's face it - you are paid for liking it :tongue:

if the issue only occurred a few days ago, you should try doing a system restore to a date before the issue began.

if that fails, try re-registering a dll on your system
start>cmd (run as administrator)
regsrv32 urlmon.dll

also check your IE popup blocker.
One of the other posts said to check your internet security settings, make sure you reset all your zones to default and check your restricted sites list. ensure that safe sites are not in that list.

that should get you around the issue, assuming its not something else that's specifically blocking it.

Borek said:
Let's face it - you are paid for liking it :tongue:
Well, there's that. :wink:

Suday 6/17: restored to 6/8/...problem solved
Thank you. Never did a 'restore' previously...

I noticed that several Windows automatic upgrades took place during the last week.,,,after 6/8.
I wonder if one of those caused my problem.

Those upgrades were presumably eliminated: do I need to take any action
to restore those or will Windows update them again automatically?.

How do I 'get paid' for liking IE?? What does that mean??

I do not notice any deposits to my bank account covering that!Can I get a raise if I say I like it more??

Last edited:

1. Why are my links not working on my HP computer?

There could be several reasons why your links are not working on your HP computer. It could be due to a faulty internet connection, outdated browser, or incorrect settings. It could also be caused by a virus or malware on your computer.

2. How can I troubleshoot links not working on my HP computer?

To troubleshoot links not working on your HP computer, you can try a few solutions. First, check your internet connection and make sure it is stable. Then, try using a different browser or updating your current browser to the latest version. You can also run a virus scan to check for any malware that may be affecting your computer.

3. Why are links not opening in a new tab on my HP computer?

This issue could be caused by your browser settings. Some browsers have a default setting to open links in a new tab, while others may require you to manually open them. You can check your browser settings and adjust them accordingly to open links in a new tab.

4. How do I update my browser on my HP computer?

To update your browser on your HP computer, you can go to the browser's official website and download the latest version. Alternatively, you can go to your browser's settings and check for updates. It is important to keep your browser up-to-date to ensure compatibility with websites and to avoid any security issues.

5. What should I do if none of the solutions work?

If none of the solutions for troubleshooting links not working on your HP computer work, it is recommended to seek help from a professional. They can further diagnose the issue and provide a more specific solution. It is also important to regularly maintain and update your computer to prevent any future issues.