Troubleshooting LT1394 Comparator Oscillation

In summary, the individual is experiencing oscillation between LO and HI when the variable voltage approaches the reference before a switch in a circuit with an LT1394 comparator. They are unsure if it is due to noise or AC coupling on the variable input and are not an expert in this area. They have temporarily resolved the issue by increasing the output capacitor, but are looking for a more permanent solution. They acknowledge that the lack of built-in hysteresis in the LT1394 may be the issue and are considering lowering the resistor on the positive feedback path. They also suggest trying common mode bypassing and checking for input noise or frequency on the output. Finally, they recommend adding hysteresis by lowering the resistor from the output back to
lennybogzy
I have a LT1394 comparator in a circuit that I'm trying to troubleshoot.

The problem is that once the variable voltage approaches the reference, just before a switch, the output signal oscillates between LO and HI.

I haven't been able to dive too deeply into it, to figure out if its noise or AC coupling on the variable IN, I'm also not a pro at this in any regard. Currently by raising the cap on the output by a factor of 10 I'm able to lower the oscillation but this is a band aid solution and doesn't fix the fundamental problem.

I know that the LT1394 has no built in hysteresis and assume that the resistor on the positive feedback path is what's going to control that for me. Should I lower it? Anything else I can do?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I had a look at the data sheet for this device. The maker claims it is stable even with slowly changing inputs.

So, it might be input noise.

If your application is just using variable DC voltages, you could try common mode bypassing. You put a capacitor between the inverting and non inverting inputs. Maybe 47 pF if it won't matter for the application.

This is a very fast chip, so it could be reacting to pulses on the input that would be hard to see with an oscilloscope.
You may be able to get a clue from the frequency of the output.
If the output is 60 Hz it may mean you need better shielding of the input wires. 120 Hz may mean there is a problem with hum from the power supply.

Last edited:
Why don't you try about 10 mV of hysteresis by lowering the resistor from the output back to the positive input.
Bob S

1. What causes the LT1394 comparator to oscillate?

The most common cause of LT1394 comparator oscillation is insufficient decoupling capacitance. This can be solved by adding additional capacitors to the power supply and ground pins of the comparator.

2. How can I troubleshoot LT1394 comparator oscillation?

First, check the decoupling capacitors as they are often the root cause of oscillation. You can also try increasing the load on the comparator by adding a resistor in parallel with the output. Additionally, checking for any external noise sources and adding shielding can also help reduce oscillations.

3. Is there a specific layout that can help prevent LT1394 comparator oscillation?

Yes, a good layout can greatly reduce the chances of comparator oscillation. Keep the input traces short and away from high-frequency signals, and use separate ground planes for analog and digital components. Also, make sure the power supply traces are wide and have low impedance.

4. Can changing the comparator's power supply voltage affect oscillation?

Yes, changing the power supply voltage can affect the stability of the LT1394 comparator. Make sure to follow the recommended operating voltage range for the comparator and use appropriate decoupling capacitors to prevent oscillation.

5. How do I know if my LT1394 comparator is oscillating?

You can use an oscilloscope to check for oscillations in the comparator's output. If the output voltage is fluctuating rapidly and does not settle to a stable value, it is likely that the comparator is oscillating. You can also use a spectrum analyzer to check for high-frequency noise in the output signal.