How Can I Match My LCD Labels to a Tutorial's Labels for an Arduino Project?

In Summary, Tom was looking for clarification on an Arduino project, and was wondering how to connect his LCD screen to the project. He found a couple projects that matched what he had, but was concerned about the rest of the project. If you like the project it should be easy to modify just the way the LCD is connected.
opus
Gold Member
Hi.
I'm trying to get something started on an Arduino Project and I've never done one before, so I'm looking for a little clarification.
If you have a look at the posted images, you can see that the "labels" for the LCD screen for the tutorial and aren't the same as the labels for the LCD screen that I have. I'm wondering how I can decipher between them so mine will match the authors?
Here's a link to the project.
https://tutorial45.com/arduino-stopwatch-project/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 12.42.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 12.42.28 AM.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 486
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 12.44.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 12.44.31 AM.png
    62.6 KB · Views: 482
Physics news on Phys.org
Oops. Can't do it without extra circuits and/or some messy programming.

The problem is the original project sends data to the LCD one bit at a time over one wire labeled SDA (and a Clock signal on SCL), the LCD you have wants 8 bits of data at a time to the connections labeled D0 thru D7, along with some other control or addressing information on 6 more connections.

Save yourself a headache (or three) and try to get an LCD display that matches the project.

Sorry. :cry:

Tom

p.s. Let us know how it turns out!

Unreadable, it will be difficult to help. Picture on the left is rather strange, I didn't know Fritzing allows connections to rather random points on the object.

VCC and GND are trivial. The other two looks suspicious, unless I am misunderstanding something. Hitachi LCD requires much more connections to work (don't remember how many, if memory serves me well it depends on the mode of operation, but it is something like 8 minimum).

Tom.G said:
the LCD you have wants 8 bits of data at a time to the connections labeled D0 thru D7

I think it has a mode of operation that allows using just four lines, but I can be wrong.

Well shoot. Looks like Ill look for another project that matches what I have. Thanks everyone.

If you like the project it should be easily possible to modify just the way LCD is connected (although what I see would make me very careful about the rest of the project).

Borek said:
If you like the project it should be easily possible to modify just the way LCD is connected (although what I see would make me very careful about the rest of the project).
I think Ill just find one that will work as I just want one that will get the parts and stuff working. Found a couple that seem to match

Awesome thank you

1. What is an Arduino?

An Arduino is an open-source microcontroller board that allows you to create and control electronic projects. It is equipped with inputs and outputs that can be programmed to interact with sensors, motors, lights, and other electronic components.

2. What is the first step in starting an Arduino project?

The first step is to choose an Arduino board that best suits your project needs. Then, you will need to download the Arduino software and install it on your computer. You can also find plenty of tutorials and resources online to help you get started.

3. What are the basic components needed for an Arduino project?

Besides an Arduino board, you will also need a USB cable to connect it to your computer, a breadboard for prototyping, jumper wires to connect the components, and electronic components such as LEDs, resistors, and sensors.

4. How do I write code for my Arduino project?

The Arduino software uses a simplified version of C++ programming language. You can write your code in the Arduino Integrated Development Environment (IDE) and upload it to your board. There are also many pre-written libraries and codes available online that you can use for your project.

5. What are some good resources for troubleshooting Arduino projects?

If you encounter any issues with your Arduino project, you can refer to the official Arduino website, which has a troubleshooting section and a community forum where you can ask for help. There are also many online tutorials, forums, and YouTube channels dedicated to Arduino that can provide valuable tips and solutions for common problems.