Trying to get a microphone to produce a signal

In summary, the microphone won't produce a voltage or signal. I tried yelling into the microphone. I tried Connecting a battery to circuit. Nothing I tried worked.
David lopez
I removed a condenser microphone
From a sound meter. I plug it in a breadboard. But the Condenser microphone won't produce a voltage or signal. I tried yelling into the microphone. I tried Connecting a battery to circuit. Nothing I tried worked. Anyway to get microphone to pick up signal?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Any chance the mic is putting out far less voltage than the sensitivity of the meter that you are measuring it with?

Likes Nik_2213, Averagesupernova and NascentOxygen
The multimeter I have can measure as
Little as a millivolt I think. How do you apply bias voltage to the microphone?

Condenser microphones need bias (as Jim said).

This called "Phantom Power" and the bias comes through the microphone cable and is supplied by the mixer or the audio interface (typically only higher-end mixing consoles will provide phantom power.

Here is a Wikipedia article on Phantom Power that includes a schematic for how you can supply some to your microphone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_power

Likes Nik_2213
How high should the bias voltage be?

For professional audio applications the standard is 48V, although I think the standard has provisions for 24V and 12V. Other devices may have different requirements. Can you look up the datasheet for whatever microphone you have? If you can't find out, I would try a low voltage and slowly increase until the mic comes to life.

Hopefully you can identify the specific microphone because you also have to make sure you can accommodate its bias current requirements as well as voltage.

Likes DaveE
How do I tell if microphone comes to life?

talk into it and see if the output voltage wiggles?

many condenser microphones use only a volt or two or three. I've seen some with watch batteries some with AA cells inside.
Some use around 9 volts per the Audio-Technica article below.

see
https://blog.audio-technica.com/what-is-bias-voltage/

can you figure out what the device you took it out of provided?

It was a Lv 6 sound meter I bought at
Walmart. I don't know the model.

Related to Trying to get a microphone to produce a signal

1. How do I connect my microphone to produce a signal?

To connect your microphone, you will need a microphone cable with an XLR connector on one end and the appropriate connector for your recording device on the other end. Plug the XLR end into the microphone and the other end into your recording device's microphone input.

2. Why is my microphone not producing a signal?

There could be several reasons why your microphone is not producing a signal. First, make sure it is properly connected and that the volume is turned up. If it still doesn't work, check if the microphone is turned on and if the batteries (if applicable) are charged. If none of these solutions work, there may be an issue with the microphone itself and it may need to be repaired or replaced.

3. How do I adjust the volume of my microphone signal?

The volume of your microphone signal can be adjusted in a few different ways. If you are using a recording device, there may be a volume knob or slider specifically for the microphone input. You can also adjust the volume in your recording software or audio interface. Additionally, some microphones have built-in volume controls that can be adjusted directly on the microphone itself.

4. Can I use any microphone to produce a signal?

In general, any microphone with the correct connector can be used to produce a signal. However, different types of microphones (such as dynamic, condenser, or ribbon) may produce different types of signals and may work better for certain purposes. It is important to choose a microphone that is appropriate for your specific recording needs.

5. How can I improve the quality of my microphone signal?

To improve the quality of your microphone signal, make sure you are using a high-quality microphone and that it is properly connected and set up. You can also try adjusting the microphone's placement and experimenting with different recording techniques. Additionally, using a pop filter or windscreen can help reduce unwanted noise and improve the clarity of your signal.