Two commutation processes for RL circuit

In summary: I find dIL_2/dt in the time moment?It would be helpful if you could provide a more specific example of what you are trying to find.
evol_w10lv

Homework Statement

I have to calculate first commutation process (t=0) and second commutation process (t1 = 2*τ)
4aih2r00mg00o5vifxyt.png

wcjtwh4tjufwhsowaujv.png

Both swithes are closing in the given time moment.

Homework Equations

Form of second commutation process:
v78zf092r8hiabw5xbw1.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already calculated first commutation process:
vame0fy1cgrhtw3as5jo.png

r7za2xzgl741ogkctpr.png

And also some important figures for second commutation process:
uhh019t94dsf27gjhi0h.png

But how to get final result of second commutation process?
9oi49tjjkitnbwai8vq.png

I have to use mesh current method and write 2 equations (loops with current IL1 and IL2 in the picture) and after that I have to calculate complicated system of differential equations or what?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you have to do depends upon what it is you want to find. What do you mean when you say "calculate a commutation process"? Is there a particular voltage or current function that you need to find? What was the exact problem statement?

I guess, I wasn't formulated my problem.
So.. I have to calculate current through the inductor L2 and voltage across the L2, when switch 1 is closed in the time moment t=0, and switch 2 is closed in the time moment t = 1.6364 us (as I calculated).
I tried to simulate my task using PSpice:
irtel5zj3b7tvqzxrh8j.png

And here is results of voltages:
orrusxjrg6t5kzcldu1.png

We know that:
f3b79acf740eb401292e8fa44411a73b.png

Am I wright, that I have to use mesh current method and write equations, including dIL1/dt and dIL2/dt?

Here is my attempt:
q5vvtfmcpyjfulnzkdt7.png

xehyhi3g6um07ts2a06.png

Is this correct? And to get IL2(t) I have to calculate this complicated system of differential equations?

evol_w10lv said:
So.. I have to calculate current through the inductor L2 and voltage across the L2, when switch 1 is closed in the time moment t=0, and switch 2 is closed in the time moment t = 1.6364 us (as I calculated).
Oh, that makes things much easier! :smile: Just the voltage at those moments in time?

Except I'm not so sure that you are right in thinking that's what you are to find. http://imageshack.us/a/img27/6946/sulkoff.gif It seems too easy, no differential equations are needed. For example, when s1 is closed, s2 remains open, so the voltage across L2 remains at zero. Is that too easy??

http://physicsforums.bernhardtmediall.netdna-cdn.com/images/icons/icon2.gif Please confirm that all you are required to determine is the instantaneous voltage and current applying to L2 at two moments in time.

Last edited by a moderator:
NascentOxygen said:
http://physicsforums.bernhardtmediall.netdna-cdn.com/images/icons/icon2.gif Please confirm that all you are required to determine is the instantaneous voltage and current applying to L2 at two moments in time.

Not exactly. I have to find expression that describes all process of voltage and current, how they are changing in the time. And we know, that second switch is closed in the time moment 1.6364 us.
I know, that answer should be in the form like this:
v78zf092r8hiabw5xbw1.png

Where t-t1 is shifting time between first and second commutation process, I guess.
I see, that form is simular to answer of differential equation.
Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
evol_w10lv said:

<snip>

Am I wright, that I have to use mesh current method and write equations, including dIL1/dt and dIL2/dt?
Yes, mesh or nodal or just KVL/KCL equations.

Here is my attempt:
q5vvtfmcpyjfulnzkdt7.png

xehyhi3g6um07ts2a06.png

Is this correct? And to get IL2(t) I have to calculate this complicated system of differential equations?

Those are KVL/KCL equations (you've labeled individual currents for each branch). The second equation doesn't look right; iL2 doesn't flow through R1.

evol_w10lv said:
Not exactly. I have to find expression that describes all process of voltage and current, how they are changing in the time. And we know, that second switch is closed in the time moment 1.6364 us.
I know, that answer should be in the form like this:
v78zf092r8hiabw5xbw1.png

Where t-t1 is shifting time between first and second commutation process, I guess.
I see, that form is simular to answer of differential equation.
Any suggestions?

That leading (t - t1) looks suspicious. It would be more credible if it was U(t - t1), where U is the unit step function. And I doubt the final iL2(t) should be there, since you're looking for iL2(t). Maybe iL2(0) would be appropriate. But you will find this out when you solve your differential equations.

You might consider the Laplace Domain for solving the equations, if you've taken Laplace Transforms that is.

I know about LT, but I have to use standart method.
So, it means, that I have to find initial conditions for I_L2 before I have started to calculate differential equation.

And here is my problem, I don't know, how exactly I can find it.
I know, that in my case I_L2(t1)=0, but I have to find dIL_2/dt in the time moment.
I have got an example. There is standart cicuit and after that - equivalent cicuit. It looks, that this example is very simular to my circuit. But still I don't understand, how exactly I can find this value. I circuled an expression in the example. I have to do the same with my circuit.
fu2j7ito0yca3k73x47w.png

So.. can you explain, how to get this value?

To be clear.. it's initial conditon for my second order differential equation. I converted my system of differential equations to second order differential equation and using it, I will find I_L2(t). As I said, I know IL_2(0) = 0, but I have to find dIL_2/dt(0) like in the example. To say easier: x(0)=0, x'(0) -?

I hope that you understand my problem.

Since inductor currents cannot change instantaneously at commutation, for purposes of analyzing the situation at that instant they replaced L1 with a current source equal to the current through L1 at that instant. They also "removed" L2 since it will look like an open circuit at that instant. Then they used superposition to determine the potential ##U_{L2}(t_{1+}) across L2:

1) Current source suppressed: R1,R2, and R3 form a voltage divider for E.
2) Current source suppressed: Current divider to find current through R3+R4 branch, then multiply by R4 to find the potential across L2.
3) Sum the contributions.

Unfortunately, this theme is not of my favourite.
My circuit:
4aih2r00mg00o5vifxyt.png

I guess, then equivalent circuit should look like that (without given/real values):
q8n5zodbelj24re4p3v.png

In my case:
Voltage divider:
jqw6sorrbatgyqctfha.png

Current divider:
fuxbadqsp3izsi65gkwi.png

I have to sum these equations? But it seems to me, that I am not on the right track..

No, you're doing very well :smile:

Here's a hint that may help. Any components in series with a current source are irrelevant. A current source will produce its designated current no matter what; It will generate any amount of voltage necessary to get that job done. So R1 and V1 in your circuit make no difference and you can remove them, leaving just the current source driving current through R2, the only available complete path. That should make determining the potential across the "L2 open" very easy indeed.

Then voltage across R2 is V = J * R2 and it's the same in the branch, where is R3 and "L2 open". To find voltage drop across "L2 open" I should from J*R2 subtract current divider? Or actually current divider is output of branch where is L2?
Ouch, sorry.. it becomes awkward.. not good day for my thinking.

evol_w10lv said:
Then voltage across R2 is V = J * R2 and it's the same in the branch, where is R3 and "L2 open". To find voltage drop across "L2 open" I should from J*R2 subtract current divider? Or actually current divider is output of branch where is L2?
Ouch, sorry.. it becomes awkward.. not good day for my thinking.

There's no current divider in this case; all the current is flowing through R2. So the potential across the "open" is the same as the potential across R2.

Thanks. Alles klar. :)
Already solved differential equation.

Related to Two commutation processes for RL circuit

What is an RL circuit?

An RL circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R) and an inductor (L) connected in series. It is used to study the behavior of electrical currents and voltages in circuits.

What is commutation in an RL circuit?

Commutation in an RL circuit refers to the process of switching the direction of current flow. This can be achieved by changing the polarity of the voltage source or by changing the direction of the magnetic field in the inductor.

What are the two commutation processes in an RL circuit?

The two commutation processes in an RL circuit are AC commutation and DC commutation. AC commutation is used in alternating current circuits, where the direction of current flow changes periodically. DC commutation is used in direct current circuits, where the direction of current flow is constant.

How does AC commutation work in an RL circuit?

In AC commutation, the polarity of the voltage source is periodically reversed, causing the direction of current flow to change. This results in a changing magnetic field in the inductor, which induces a voltage in the circuit. This process is used in AC motors and generators.

How does DC commutation work in an RL circuit?

In DC commutation, the direction of current flow is changed by using a device called a commutator. The commutator is a rotating switch that periodically connects the inductor to different segments of a split ring, causing the direction of current flow to change. This process is used in DC motors and generators.