Two easy circuit-analysis problems

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Molecular
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses two problems related to finding voltage and Thevénin equivalent voltage in different circuits. The first problem involves using Kirchhoff's current laws and the node-voltage method, but the equations always result in 0=0. The second problem involves simplifying a circuit and using Kirchhoff's current laws to find the Thevénin equivalent voltage, but there is confusion about how to combine two power sources with different currents. Eventually, the problems are solved and the answers are found to be -3.75 and -12 V.
Molecular
First problem:

Homework Statement

I'm supposed to find the voltage across the 8k resistor in the following circuit:
http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/4139/circuit1lk0.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

This just seems so mindboggling easy. My first thought is to use kirckhoffs current laws on all three nodes, giving me three equations with three unknowns.

The problem is this always ends up giving me a 0 = 0 equation. I'm guessing this might be because the equation for the upper left node = 1, the down left node = 2 and the node on the right = 3, so you could say left node equations = right node equation. I don't know, at any rate I always get a 0 = 0 equation so there's no help there either.

I've also tried using the node-voltage method, but this also turns out wrong every time. Admittedly this may be calculation errors on my side, but to some extent since I can't see the paths back to whatever node I chose as the reference node I've got a feeling it won't be correct anyway.

The problem seems so easy, and I know for a fact it's supposed to be easy, but I'm somehow missing something essential here, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Problem two:
Nevermind this one, I figured it out =\

Homework Statement

I'm supposed to find the Thevénin equivalent voltage of the following circuit:
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/9977/circuit3ab6.jpg

Again this is a somewhat easy problem.
I start by simplifying the voltage source to a power source:
230v / 20 = 11.5 A in parallel with a 20 ohm resistance and a 30 ohm resistor, which together becomes a 12 ohm resistor.

So now I've got this 11.5 A power source in parallel with a 12 ohm resistor in parallel with a 12 A power source.

First question: Considering I can now splice these two power sources together, how come I need to subtract them from each other when their current goes the same way? I know that's what I'm supposed to do, I'd just think it would be 12 + 11.5 instead of 12 - 11.5.

Second question: Aren't I correct in my observation that since the 12A current is stronger than the 11.5 one, the current after I put these together as one current source will be 0.5 but pointed downwards on the left side?

Anyway at the end I get a Tvh of -3.75, but it's not supposed to be negative. But I can't see how it's supposed to not become negative considering I'm almost positive that will be the direction of the current after adding the two sources up.

This is probably because I can't figure out the exact mechanics on adding two current sources together. All I know is I'm supposed to use kirckhoff's current law to do it, but I've really got no idea how, I just take it for granted as a rule that I can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok never mind problem two, I realize why now. 11.5 ampere goes down, 12 goes up, this means that the current across the 12 ohm resistor and the other 12 ohm resistor is a total of 0.5, this has to go upwards from the left current source because the 12 ampere current is headed upwards. Phew.

Still stumped at the first question though. I'm going to try the node voltage method one more time ;o.

Edit: And don't you know it, 5 minutes after I made this thread this one was right aswell. I get -12 V. I'd still like to ask though wether this is solvable in any easier way than using the node-voltage method? As I'm fairly sure it's supposed to be.

Last edited:

I would suggest approaching these problems by breaking them down into smaller, simpler parts. For the first problem, it may be helpful to redraw the circuit and label the nodes with the corresponding equations. Then, you can solve for the voltage at each node using Kirchhoff's laws and work your way towards finding the voltage across the 8k resistor. For the second problem, it may be helpful to first find the equivalent resistance of the circuit and then use Ohm's law to solve for the Thevenin equivalent voltage. As for the second question, when adding two current sources in parallel, you should use the current divider rule to determine the resulting current. It is also important to pay attention to the direction of the current and make sure it is consistent throughout the circuit. I would also recommend checking your calculations and equations to ensure they are correct. If you are still having trouble, it may be helpful to seek assistance from a classmate or instructor. Remember, even easy problems can be challenging if you are missing a key piece of information or making a small mistake in your calculations.

Related to Two easy circuit-analysis problems

What are the 2 easy circuit-analysis problems?

The two easy circuit-analysis problems refer to simple electronic circuits that can be easily analyzed using basic principles and equations. These problems are often used as introductory exercises for students learning about circuit analysis.

What are the main components of an electronic circuit?

The main components of an electronic circuit include a power source (such as a battery), resistors, capacitors, inductors, and switches. These components work together to control the flow of electric current and create various functions in a circuit.

How do I analyze a circuit using Kirchhoff's laws?

Kirchhoff's laws, also known as Kirchhoff's circuit laws, are used to analyze circuits and determine the voltage, current, and resistance at different points in the circuit. The first law states that the sum of currents entering a junction is equal to the sum of currents leaving the junction. The second law states that the sum of voltage drops in a closed loop is equal to the sum of voltage rises. By applying these laws, you can solve for the unknown variables in a circuit.

What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, components are connected in a single loop, meaning the current has only one path to flow through. In a parallel circuit, components are connected in multiple branches, giving the current multiple paths to flow through. This results in different voltage and current values for each type of circuit.

How can I simplify a complex circuit?

To simplify a complex circuit, you can use techniques such as series and parallel equivalent circuits, Thevenin's or Norton's theorem, and nodal or mesh analysis. These methods allow you to reduce a complex circuit into a simpler form, making it easier to analyze and solve for the desired variables.