Two particles undergoing circular motion

In summary: I don't really understand your second definition of relative angular velocity.Please look at the second definition in light of the above setup and see if you could explain how the two definitions are equivalent .
Vibhor

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=46c90935dd8a7879e28f84c8b12ef274.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am actually stumped by this seemingly simple problem . Since both the particles are moving , in order to calculate angular velocity of Q with respect to P looks to be difficult as the relative velocity of Q w.r.t P is changing at all times .

Am I missing something simple ?

Please help me with this problem .

Thanks .

Attachments

• motion.PNG
    motion.PNG
    26.2 KB · Views: 602
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should use the relative angular velocity between the two particles. Also, particle Q should move along the outer circle. Is the answer provided?

cnh1995 said:
I think you should use the relative angular velocity between the two particles.

Could you explain how to calculate without being given any other information ?

Presently I do not have the answer .

Vibhor said:
Could you explain how to calculate without being given any other information ?

Presently I do not have the answer .
You can calculate the angular velocities of both the particles using given information (in rad/s). The difference between them will be the relative angular velocity. Using this velocity, you can compute the time required by Q for one revolution around P, provided that Q is in the outer circle.

Likes Vibhor
Oh ! I was misreading the data . Strangely I was reading minutes as m/s o:) .

Last edited:
cnh1995 said:
You can calculate the angular velocities of both the particles using the given information (in rad/s).
Revolutions per minute would be simpler.

Likes Vibhor, cnh1995 and Buffu
haruspex said:
Revolutions per minute would be simpler.

Is relative angular velocity simply the difference between the angular velocities of two particles ?

I thought it was tangential component ( perpendicular to the line joining the two ) of relative velocity divided by the distance between the two points .

Or are the two equivalent ?

Vibhor said:
Is relative angular velocity simply the difference between the angular velocities of two particles ?
Yes.

Vibhor said:

I thought it was tangential component ( perpendicular to the line joining the two ) of relative velocity divided by the distance between the two points .

You should draw a diagram of the motion of the two particles. Perhaps plot their approximate position every 30s or 1min and see how one moves with respect to the other.

PS I would change Q's rotation to 4mins for the diagram to make things simpler.

@PeroK , @Chestermiller

I understand how relative angular velocity is difference between the angular velocity of the two particles . The problem is solved .

Could you explain mathematically how the two definitions of angular velocity in post#7 are equivalent ?

Vibhor said:
@PeroK , @Chestermiller

I understand how relative angular velocity is difference between the angular velocity of the two particles . The problem is solved .

Could you explain mathematically how the two definitions of angular velocity in post#7 are equivalent ?

You have to imagine P "looking" in the same direction all the time. Alternatively, choose P's reference frame, in which Q rotates anti-clockwise (but not in a circle). Or, Q's reference frame in which P moves clockwise. This is better, actually, than drawing both points moving. And probably the simplest way to look at it.

I don't really understand your second definition of relative angular velocity.

Sorry . I was not able to convey the second definition properly .

I will take an example .Suppose there is a rigid rod moving in space such that at an instant one end A is moving with velocity v1 in the direction making an angle 30° anticlockwise with +x axis .The other end is moving with velocity v2 in the direction making an angle 45° anticlockwise with +x axis . How would you calculate angular velocity of point A w.r.t B ?

This is an example to demonstrate the second definition in post#7 .

By no means I intend to test your skills .You are far more knowledgeable than me :smile:

Please look at the second definition in light of the above setup and see if you could explain how the two definitions are equivalent .

Thanks for your patience .

Vibhor said:

They are different.
The first definition supposes the two angular velocities are each defined in terms of some other point as a common centre of rotation. The second takes each as reference for the other.

I can see your difficulty. Let us suppose Q is outer, but instead of P moving in steady circles it just moves randomly about inside Q's circle. It takes Q 5 minutes to go around P. How is this changed by P moving in steady circles also? It isn't. The answer is still 5 minutes.
If P is outer, Q does not go around P at all, and that is nothing to do with Q's being slower.
In my view, the question setter has outsmarted himself.

To rescue the question, you have to think of P and Q as observers who always face ahead in their motion, and ask how many times Q appears to P to have gone around. I.e. use P as a rotating frame of reference. Does the answer to that depend on which is outer?

Likes Vibhor and jbriggs444
Vibhor said:

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=46c90935dd8a7879e28f84c8b12ef274.png
To me, the problem as posed is not solvable. Let us define the rate of "revolves around" by imagining a telescoping, straight, massless rod connecting the two particles end to end and asking how many times this rod rotates 360 degrees end over end per unit time on average. The system will return to its starting state in ten minutes. So it suffices to find the number of rotations made by this rod over a ten minute span and divide by ten minutes.

Suppose that the radius of Q's circle is larger then P's. Then in 10 minutes, the rod will have made two complete rotations due to Q's motion while P's gyrations are irrelevant.

Suppose, contrariwise, that the radius of P's circle is larger. Then in 10 minutes, the rod will have made five complete rotations due to P's motion while Q's gyrations are irrelevant.

Since we are not told which radius is larger, the problem has no unambiguous answer.

[Missed seeing @haruspex say much the same thing]

Likes Vibhor
haruspex said:
They are different.
The first definition supposes the two angular velocities are each defined in terms of some other point as a common centre of rotation. The second takes each as reference for the other.

I can see your difficulty.
Thanks for coming to my rescue :smile:

you have to think of P and Q as observers who always face ahead in their motion, and ask how many times Q appears to P to have gone around. I.e. use P as a rotating frame of reference. Does the answer to that depend on which is outer?

I think irrespective of which one of P and Q is in outer radii , from P's frame Q appears to be rotating with angular speed 0.3 rev/min anticlockwise . Is that right ?

Vibhor said:
I think irrespective of which one of P and Q is in outer radii , from P's frame Q appears to be rotating with angular speed 0.3 rev/min anticlockwise . Is that right ?
Yes, but that is not what the question asks. It asks for the time "for Q to make one revolution about P".

Likes Vibhor
haruspex said:
Yes, but that is not what the question asks. It asks for the time "for Q to make one revolution about P".

Wouldn't that be 10/3 min ?

Vibhor said:
Wouldn't that be 10/3 min ?
If Q is on the outer path, yes, but what if it is on the inner circle?

haruspex said:
If Q is on the outer path, yes, but what if it is on the inner circle?

In that case Q doesn't revolve around P .

Vibhor said:
In that case Q doesn't revolve around P .
Right. Using P's rotating frame of reference, Q will still appear to complete a circuit in 200 seconds, but it does not go around P.

Likes Vibhor
With reference to post #15 and #13 , in P' s frame Q is rotating with angular speed 0.3 Rev/min , but as you mentioned in post #13 , the angular speed measured is w r.t the common center of rotation . Right ?

Vibhor said:
With reference to post #15 and #13 , in P' s frame Q is rotating with angular speed 0.3 Rev/min , but as you mentioned in post #13 , the angular speed measured is w r.t the common center of rotation . Right ?
Yes, the relative rate around the common centre is .3 rpm.
If Q is outer, in P's rotating reference frame, P sees Q as going around P, backwards, maintaining a constant rate in a circle about some point (but not a constant angular rate about P). Regardless, P sees Q as having completed one lap of P in 10/3 minutes.
If P is outer, in P's rotating reference frame, P sees Q as maintaining a constant rate in a circle about some point, but P is outside that circle, so Q never completes a lap of P.

Likes Vibhor
haruspex said:
If Q is outer, in P's rotating reference frame, P sees Q as going around P, backwards, maintaining a constant rate in a circle about some point (but not a constant angular rate about P). Regardless, P sees Q as having completed one lap of P in 10/3 minutes.
If P is outer, in P's rotating reference frame, P sees Q as maintaining a constant rate in a circle about some point, but P is outside that circle, so Q never completes a lap of P.

Brilliant !

How would Q appear to move as seen from P i.e trajectory of P w.r.t Q ? I think it is not a circle . Right ?

Vibhor said:
How would Q appear to move as seen from P i.e trajectory of P w.r.t Q ? I think it is not a circle . Right ?
Right. Epicycloid?

Likes Vibhor
haruspex said:

"about some point" is the common center of rotation i.e center of the two circles ??

Vibhor said:
"about some point" is the common center of rotation i.e center of the two circles ??
Yes, but in P's frame that's just some arbitrary point.

Likes Vibhor
OK...Thanks a lot . As usual you were fabulous with your replies :bow:.

haruspex said:
Right. Using P's rotating frame of reference, Q will still appear to complete a circuit in 200 seconds, but it does not go around P.

One last thing , refer to @jbriggs444 post #14 , if P moves in outer radius and if we connect P and Q by an imaginary line , don't you think , that line completes one full rotation as P and Q move. Doesn't that count as one revolution of Q around P ( despite Q moving in smaller radius ) ??

Vibhor said:
don't you think , that line completes one full rotation as P and Q move. Doesn't that count as one revolution of Q around P ( despite Q moving in smaller radius ) ??
With P in the outer circle, in P's rotating reference frame, that line would wiggle about a bit, but return to its original position without completing a revolution.
In the lab frame, the line would complete a revolution, but you would describe it as P going around Q, I think.

Related to Two particles undergoing circular motion

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves along a circular path. This means that the object maintains a constant distance from a fixed point as it moves.

2. What are the two particles in circular motion?

The two particles in circular motion can refer to any two objects or points that are moving along circular paths. For example, planets orbiting around a star or a swing moving back and forth are both examples of circular motion.

3. What forces are involved in circular motion?

The main force involved in circular motion is centripetal force, which is responsible for keeping the object moving along the circular path. This force is always directed towards the center of the circle. Other forces, such as friction or gravity, may also play a role in circular motion depending on the specific situation.

4. How do you calculate the speed of a particle in circular motion?

The speed of a particle in circular motion can be calculated using the formula v = rω, where v is the speed, r is the radius of the circular path, and ω is the angular velocity (how fast the object is rotating). This formula assumes that the particle is moving at a constant speed.

5. What is the difference between circular motion and rotational motion?

Circular motion refers to the movement of an object along a circular path, while rotational motion refers to the spinning or rotating of an object around its own axis. They are related as rotational motion can cause circular motion, but they are not the same thing.