Two Questions on General Relativity & String Theory

• Thread starter IRobot
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of manifold with torsion and electromagnetism, and the concept of local gauge invariance in different types of gauge transformations. One difference between global gauge symmetry in electromagnetism and local gauge symmetry in general relativity is that the former gives charge conservation through Noether's theorem while the latter does not have a similar conserved quantity. Additionally, there are different ways of obtaining gravity from local gauge invariance, with gauging translations being the simplest.
IRobot
Hi, I have two questions dealing with general relativity:

-assume that we want to use a manifold with torsion, an we also want to add electromagnetism, Faraday's tensor ([tex]F^{\mu\nu}=\nabla^{\mu}A^{\nu}-\nabla^{\nu}A^{\mu}[/tex]) is no longer gauge-invariant, I have been looking for a way of constructing a cinetic term for the vector field which is gauge invariant without any results, maybe electromagnetism forbids the manifold from having torsion

-in the prologue of Kiritsis book on String Theory, he writes: "Three of the four fundamental forces known are described by gauge theories. The fourth, gravity, is also based on local gauge invariance, albeit of a different type, and so far stands apart." I know that this gauge transformation is [tex] g^{\alpha\beta} \rightarrow g^{\alpha\beta} + \partial^{\alpha}\epsilon^{\beta} + \partial^{\beta}\epsilon^{\alpha} [/tex] the infinitesimal form of a diffeomorphism transformation, but I don't see the conceptual difference with local U(1), SU(2), or SU(3) gauge transformation.Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
IRobot said:
-in the prologue of Kiritsis book on String Theory, he writes: "Three of the four fundamental forces known are described by gauge theories. The fourth, gravity, is also based on local gauge invariance, albeit of a different type, and so far stands apart." I know that this gauge transformation is [tex] g^{\alpha\beta} \rightarrow g^{\alpha\beta} + \partial^{\alpha}\epsilon^{\beta} + \partial^{\beta}\epsilon^{\alpha} [/tex] the infinitesimal form of a diffeomorphism transformation, but I don't see the conceptual difference with local U(1), SU(2), or SU(3) gauge transformation.

One difference is that although global gauge symmetry in E&M gives charge conservation via Noether's theorem, you don't get any similar conserved quantity in GR. (GR doesn't have a conserved mass-energy that can be defined in all spacetimes.)

IRobot said:
-in the prologue of Kiritsis book on String Theory, he writes: "Three of the four fundamental forces known are described by gauge theories. The fourth, gravity, is also based on local gauge invariance, albeit of a different type, and so far stands apart." I know that this gauge transformation is [tex] g^{\alpha\beta} \rightarrow g^{\alpha\beta} + \partial^{\alpha}\epsilon^{\beta} + \partial^{\beta}\epsilon^{\alpha} [/tex] the infinitesimal form of a diffeomorphism transformation, but I don't see the conceptual difference with local U(1), SU(2), or SU(3) gauge transformation.

There is more than one way of getting gravity from local gauge invariance. This paper discusses some of them.

"On the Gauge Aspects of Gravity" by Frank Gronwald and Friedrich W. Hehl, arXiv:gr-qc/9602013.

The simplest is probably gauging translations, which gives a theory with local conservation of energy and momentum ( which seems right because changes in energy/momentum are the generators of translations).

[edit]on reflection, I don't think this helps with your question, but I'll leave the post in case any readers want to find out more about gauge gravity.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between General Relativity and String Theory?

General Relativity is a theory of gravity that describes how massive objects interact with each other and how they affect the fabric of space and time. It was developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. String Theory, on the other hand, is a theoretical framework that attempts to reconcile the theories of General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics by proposing that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not particles, but tiny, vibrating strings.

2. How does General Relativity explain gravity?

In General Relativity, gravity is explained as the curvature of space and time. According to this theory, massive objects such as planets and stars cause a distortion in the fabric of space and time, creating a gravitational force that pulls other objects towards them. This concept is often visualized as a bowling ball placed on a trampoline, causing a depression in the fabric which smaller objects, like marbles, will roll towards.

3. What is the main goal of String Theory?

The main goal of String Theory is to create a unified theory of physics that can explain all the fundamental forces and particles in the universe. It aims to reconcile the theories of General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics, which are currently incompatible, by proposing that all fundamental particles are actually tiny strings vibrating at different frequencies. This would provide a more complete understanding of the universe and potentially lead to new discoveries and advancements in science.

4. What is the evidence for String Theory?

Currently, there is no direct experimental evidence for String Theory. However, there are some indirect observations that support its concepts, such as the existence of supersymmetry and the holographic principle. Additionally, String Theory is mathematically consistent and has the potential to explain phenomena that cannot be explained by current theories, such as the merging of General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics at the smallest scales.

5. Can String Theory be proven?

As with any scientific theory, it is not possible to definitively prove String Theory. However, it can be supported or discredited through experiments and observations. So far, String Theory has not been proven or disproven, and it remains a topic of ongoing research and debate in the scientific community.