Two Spheres Attracted by Gravitational Force

In summary, the conversation discusses two spheres of equal radius and mass being released from rest and colliding with each other. Using the conservation of energy, the final velocity of the spheres is calculated to be 5.8172e-5 m/s. However, this solution is incorrect due to not accounting for the kinetic energy of each sphere.
maximoanimo

Homework Statement

Two spheres have equal radius R = 14m and mass m = 1420kg. Their centers are separated a distance 4R. The spheres are released from rest. What will be their speed when they collide? Answer in m/s.

Homework Equations

U(g) = -G*m1*m2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

We know from the conservation of energy that U(i) + K(i) = U(f) + K(f). Since the spheres are initially at rest, K(i) = 0. Initially, the two spheres are 4R apart. Upon collision, they must be 2R apart (the sum of their radii when they are touching). Knowing this information, we can plug in:

-Gm^2/4R = -Gm^2/2R + mv^2/2
-Gm^2/4R = -2Gm^2/4R + 2Rmv^2/4R
Gm^2 = 2Rmv^2
v^2 = Gm^2/2Rm = Gm/2R

Plugging in the values given, I found v = 5.8172e-5 m/s. However, it says this solution is incorrect. Can someone help me find the flaw in my solution?

Thanks so much,
Steven

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that each of the spheres are going to have a value kinetic energy, so you'll have to take that into account when balancing the initial and final energies. Fix that and the rest should follow in a similar manner as in your derivation.

Ah, it took me a while to see what was wrong with the derivation in Post #1. Cider is correct; there are two spheres of course.

Related to Two Spheres Attracted by Gravitational Force

What is the concept of gravitational force?

Gravitational force is a fundamental force of nature that exists between all objects with mass. It is the force that pulls objects towards each other and is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun.

How does the gravitational force between two spheres change with distance?

The gravitational force between two spheres decreases as the distance between them increases. This relationship is described by the inverse square law, which states that the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two objects.

What factors affect the strength of the gravitational force between two spheres?

The strength of gravitational force between two spheres is affected by the mass of the two objects and the distance between them. The larger the mass of the objects, the stronger the force will be. Similarly, the closer the objects are to each other, the stronger the force will be.

Can the gravitational force between two spheres be negative?

No, the gravitational force between two spheres cannot be negative. It is always an attractive force, meaning that it always pulls objects towards each other. However, if one of the objects has a negative mass, the force will be repulsive instead of attractive.

Is the gravitational force between two spheres the same in all directions?

Yes, the gravitational force between two spheres is the same in all directions. This is known as a central force, meaning that it acts along the line connecting the centers of the two objects and is independent of the orientation of the objects.