Two unit vectors that are normal to the plane

In summary, two unit vectors being normal to a plane means that they are perpendicular to the plane. To determine if two unit vectors are normal to a plane, the dot product of the vectors can be taken and if it equals 0, they are normal. Two unit vectors can be normal to more than one plane, and there are many real-life applications of this concept, such as in engineering, physics, and computer graphics. However, two unit vectors cannot be normal to a plane if they are not perpendicular to each other.
earthyearth

Homework Statement

Find two unit vectors that are normal to the plane determined by the points A(0,-2,1), B(1,-1,-2), and C(-1,1,0)

I found the cross-product of the two position vectors then i got 8i+4j+4k then i divided that by the magnitude to get the unit vector but how do i find the other one? can i just add a coefficient in front of the unit vector?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Take the opposite direction.

Related to Two unit vectors that are normal to the plane

1. What does it mean for two unit vectors to be normal to a plane?

When two unit vectors are normal to a plane, it means that they are perpendicular to the plane, meaning they form a 90-degree angle with any vector lying in the plane.

2. How can I determine if two unit vectors are normal to a plane?

To determine if two unit vectors are normal to a plane, you can take the dot product of the two vectors. If the dot product is equal to 0, then the vectors are perpendicular and therefore normal to the plane.

3. Can two unit vectors be normal to more than one plane?

Yes, two unit vectors can be normal to more than one plane. In fact, there are infinitely many planes that can contain two normal unit vectors.

4. Is it possible for two unit vectors to be normal to a plane if they are not perpendicular to each other?

No, if two unit vectors are not perpendicular to each other, then they cannot be normal to a plane. Remember, the definition of being normal to a plane is that the vectors are perpendicular to the plane.

5. Are there any real-life applications of two unit vectors being normal to a plane?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of two unit vectors being normal to a plane. For example, in engineering and architecture, normal vectors are used to determine the orientation and stability of structures. In physics, normal vectors are used to calculate forces and moments on objects. Additionally, normal vectors are used in computer graphics to determine the direction of light and create realistic 3D images.