Type of Reaction: Ethene + Steam --> Ethanol

In summary, a high school student preparing for a public exam was asked to identify the type of reaction given as "ethene + steam ----> ethanol." They initially answered oxidation but later learned that it is actually an addition reaction. They asked their teacher about finding the change in oxidation number but it was deemed difficult. The student then questioned if their understanding of an extra oxygen atom being added was incorrect. The teacher clarified that it is an addition reaction and it is not possible to determine the change in oxidation number in this case. The student thanked the teacher for the clarification.
Colin Cheng
Hi everyone. I'm a high school student. Recently I have been doing some past papers to prepare for the public exam in April. The reaction "ethene + steam ----> ethanol" is given and I was asked to name the type of reaction. I answered oxidation but the answer is addition. Later I asked my teacher and he said oxidation is wrong as the change in oxidation number is hard to find. What I think is simply that there's an extra O atom added to the compound. Is this thought wrong?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
... and, water has been reduced ... It's an "addition."

How can we find the change in oxidation number in the reaction? Is it possible?

Colin Cheng said:
How can we find the change in oxidation number in the reaction?
In general? Count electrons.
Colin Cheng said:
Is it possible?
Not for an addition reaction; the single product is the combination of two reactants, one of which may have been oxidized and the other reduced. But, which is which?

Ok got it, thanks

1. What is the type of reaction between ethene and steam?

The reaction between ethene and steam is a hydration reaction.

2. What is the product of the reaction between ethene and steam?

The product of the reaction between ethene and steam is ethanol.

3. What are the reactants in the reaction between ethene and steam?

The reactants in the reaction between ethene and steam are ethene (C2H4) and steam (H2O).

4. What are the conditions necessary for the reaction between ethene and steam to occur?

The reaction between ethene and steam requires high temperatures (300-400°C) and a catalyst, such as phosphoric acid or alumina, to occur.

5. What is the purpose of the reaction between ethene and steam?

The purpose of the reaction between ethene and steam is to produce ethanol, which is commonly used as a fuel, solvent, and in the production of various products such as plastics and pharmaceuticals.