Typical when do they collide problem

• Thread starter Ohoneo
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves two knights on horseback starting from rest 92 m apart and riding towards each other with different accelerations. Using the kinematics equations, the distance between the knights can be expressed in terms of time. By eliminating time, the position of the collision can be determined relative to one of the starting points.
Ohoneo
Typical "when do they collide" problem

Homework Statement

In a historical movie, two knights on horseback start from rest 92 m apart and ride directly toward each other to do battle. Sir George's acceleration has a magnitude of 0.18 m/s2, while Sir Alfred's has a magnitude of 0.34 m/s2. Relative to Sir George's starting point, where do the knights collide?

Homework Equations

I would guess the 4 kinematics equations (as acceleration is constant)
v = v0 + at
x = 1/2(v0+v)t
x = v0t + 1/2 at^2
v^2 = v0^2 + 2ax

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, basically I think my attempts ended up being long and fruitless. I had NO idea how to start this problem and tried finding the position by hand plugging in 1, 2, 3, etc for time and figuring out how close the knights were coming to each other. Didn't work so well.
I thought I should make two equations equal to each other but didn't know what equations or where to start. Now I think I should be replacing t or x (position) in one of the equations, since I'm missing two variables instead of just one but I'm not sure how to relate the two... Any help at all is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Both knights travel with constant acceleration and start form zero velocity. So what are the distances (s1 and s2) traveled by both knights in time t?
Initially, the knights are 92 m apart. As they ride toward each other, the distance between them gradually decreases. Write up the distance between the knights as terms of t. ehild

Thank you so much :) I solved the problem. I had to basically eliminate t from the problem, as I was looking for x (relative to George). Thanks again!

Related to Typical when do they collide problem

1. What is a "Typical when do they collide problem" in science?

A "Typical when do they collide problem" is a scientific question that involves determining the time or conditions at which two objects or systems will come into contact or collide with each other. It can involve calculating the trajectories and velocities of the objects or systems, as well as any external forces that may affect their collision.

2. What factors affect the collision of two objects or systems?

The collision of two objects or systems can be affected by various factors such as their masses, velocities, trajectories, and any external forces acting on them. The shape and composition of the objects can also play a role in the collision.

3. Can mathematical equations be used to solve "Typical when do they collide problems"?

Yes, mathematical equations such as Newton's laws of motion and the equations of motion can be used to solve "Typical when do they collide problems". These equations can help determine the time and conditions at which two objects or systems will collide.

4. How do scientists use computer simulations to study "Typical when do they collide problems"?

Scientists can use computer simulations to model the motion of objects or systems and predict their collision. By inputting data such as mass, velocity, and external forces, the computer can calculate and display the trajectory and time of collision.

5. Why are "Typical when do they collide problems" important in science?

"Typical when do they collide problems" are important in science because they help us understand the behavior of objects and systems in motion. They also have practical applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy, where predicting and avoiding collisions is crucial.