Ubuntu on Dell Inspiron 14 Series 5000 - How to Use?

• Thread starter fireflies
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ubuntu
In summary, on a Dell Inspiron 14 laptop, if there is a Ubuntu sticker on the machine, it means the OS is already installed and ready to use. There are several ways to determine if Ubuntu is installed, including checking if the hard drive is partitioned and checking the properties of the hard drive. If Ubuntu is not installed, you can download and use a virtual machine to create a separate OS environment.
fireflies
I use Windows 8, but I also want to use linux based OS. I use DELL Inspiron 14 laptop, series 5000. There's an ubuntu sticker here. Does that mean ubuntu is downloaded? How to get sure/use it then? Please tell, I don't know. If not, then what should I do?

Computer science news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
When you boot your computer does it allow you select which OS you want?

Can you please tell me how? I never did before. I tried pressing F8, but no use.
jedishrfu said:
or does the OS match the images in this web page from DELL?

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15-3551-laptop-ubuntu/pd

If so then you probably are using Ubuntu right now.

No, it is Windows 8.

Can this happen that when I bought the laptop Windows 8 OS was overwritten to Ubuntu?

Thanks for replying btw :)

You could try holding down the right shift key during boot or the escape key.

If it's not, you can download and create an Ubuntu Live CD. Place it into the CD-ROM and launch it, it'll launch from the disc and give you the option to install Ubuntu. When you launch the installer, it will recognize that Windows is already there and will ask you if you want to replace it or install along side. From there just follow the instructions, reboot your machine and you'll see GRUB, which ill allow you to switch between WIndows and Ubuntu.

fireflies said:
I use Windows 8, but I also want to use linux based OS. I use DELL Inspiron 14 laptop, series 5000. There's an ubuntu sticker here. Does that mean ubuntu is downloaded? How to get sure/use it then? Please tell, I don't know. If not, then what should I do?

If your laptop has Ubuntu installed as well, it will give you the option to choose which one to load on boot screen, as jedishrfu points out. You have nothing to do to see this. You can also check if your hard disk is partitioned and the properties of your hard disk, as an alternative way to see if another OS is installed (NTFS is for Windows, ext2,ext3,ext4 for Linux etc.).

On the other hand if it is not installed, you can do what newjerseyrunner recommends, but keep in mind that Windows are not too friendly to multi-boot configurations and particularly to GRUB and if you don't know how to do it, the process may end up corrupting your boot sector. A more safe way, is to use a virtual machine - like VirtualBox or other free such software and use your machine as a "host". You'll have a sufficiently well isolated OS, inside the virtual machine, that is fully operational, with a cost on your machine's resources and the boot time of the hosted system, but given todays available resources, there will be no notable problem whatsoever. This way, you can experiment with more Linux flavors and other OSs as well - you can check which OSs a certain virtual machine supports, in order to decide which one to download and install.

Well, I guess Ubuntu is not installed.

Thanks for helping me. Let me check this out :)

1. How do I install Ubuntu on my Dell Inspiron 14 Series 5000?

To install Ubuntu on your Dell Inspiron 14 Series 5000, you will need to first download the Ubuntu ISO file from the official website. Then, create a bootable USB drive using software such as Rufus or Etcher. Insert the USB drive into your laptop and restart it. Press F12 repeatedly to access the boot menu and select the USB drive as the boot device. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process.

2. Can I dual boot Ubuntu with Windows on my Dell Inspiron 14 Series 5000?

Yes, it is possible to dual boot Ubuntu with Windows on your Dell Inspiron 14 Series 5000. During the installation process, you will be given the option to either erase the entire disk and install Ubuntu or to install Ubuntu alongside Windows. Select the latter option to create a dual boot system.

3. How do I access the BIOS on my Dell Inspiron 14 Series 5000?

To access the BIOS on your Dell Inspiron 14 Series 5000, restart your laptop and continuously press the F2 key until the BIOS menu appears. From there, you can make changes to your system settings.

4. Can I customize the appearance of Ubuntu on my Dell Inspiron 14 Series 5000?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of Ubuntu on your Dell Inspiron 14 Series 5000. You can change the wallpaper, themes, icons, and more by going to the "Appearance" settings. You can also install third-party themes and icon packs to further customize your desktop.

5. How do I update Ubuntu on my Dell Inspiron 14 Series 5000?

To update Ubuntu on your Dell Inspiron 14 Series 5000, open the "Software Updater" application. It will check for any available updates and prompt you to install them. You can also use the command line to update Ubuntu by using the "sudo apt update" and "sudo apt upgrade" commands.