Ultrasonic crack detection in glass bottles

In summary: Ultrasonic crack detection is possible, but the machine will have to be able to identify the resonance frequency of the crack. This is a difficult task, as the resonance frequency will change based on the shape of the bottle.
dc878787
I'm working on a project for a bottling plant that is trying to make a vision-based machine to detect cracked glass bottles before they attempt to fill them.

It seems that the vision & backlight approach is the standard way to do this in the industry, but the shape of the bottle in this application makes this a tricky/expensive machine.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with some type of ultrasonic crack detection methodology? I'm just going on a hunch here, but I think that at least some cracks should change the resonate frequency of a bottle enough to detect the change..

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you provide a pic of the bottle's shape?

dc878787 said:
vision & backlight approach
Shows a lot of flaws --- laser plus beam expander (cylindrical lens in front of laser level light source) and a diode array looking for reflections, or reduced transmission.

Support a bottle by one point, say by the cap, then tap the bottle so it rings like a bell at a fundamental frequency. If there is a fracture in a bottle it will sound dull and generate a short burst of harmonics of the fundamental frequency. I expect the harmonics generated to be even because the crack opens for part of the cycle but is closed on the other half cycle. With a good bottle the ringing will continue for longer at the fundamental frequency and there will be less 2'nd harmonic generated.

Likes timthereaper and berkeman

What is ultrasonic crack detection?

Ultrasonic crack detection is a non-destructive testing method that uses high frequency sound waves to identify cracks or defects in materials, such as glass bottles. These sound waves are sent through the material and any changes in the wave pattern can indicate the presence of cracks.

How does ultrasonic crack detection work?

The process involves sending a high frequency sound wave through the material being tested. When the sound wave encounters a crack or defect, it will reflect back to the receiver. The receiver then analyzes the reflected sound waves to determine the location and severity of the crack.

What are the benefits of using ultrasonic crack detection in glass bottles?

Ultrasonic crack detection is a reliable and non-destructive method for identifying cracks in glass bottles. It is also a fast and cost-effective way to detect small cracks that may not be visible to the naked eye. This can help prevent potential product failures and ensure the quality of the glass bottles.

Are there any limitations to ultrasonic crack detection?

While ultrasonic crack detection is a highly effective method, it does have some limitations. It may not be able to detect cracks that are too small or too deep within the material. Additionally, the testing may be affected by external factors such as temperature or surface conditions.

How can ultrasonic crack detection be used in quality control for glass bottles?

Ultrasonic crack detection can be used as part of a quality control process for glass bottles to ensure that they meet certain standards and specifications. By identifying any cracks or defects early on, manufacturers can prevent faulty products from reaching consumers and maintain the overall quality of their products.