Underplatform Damper: Explained & Uses

• Thread starter svishal03
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Damper
In summary, the underplatform damper is a component used in rotating machinery, such as steam turbines and jet engines, to reduce vibration and improve stability. It is a type of damper that is placed under the platform or base of the machinery and helps to absorb and dissipate any unwanted vibrations. This component is important for overall performance and durability of the machinery.
svishal03
Please can anyone explain about underplatform damper and where it is used?

Physics news on Phys.org
svishal03 said:
Please can anyone explain about underplatform damper and where it is used?

Can you expand a bit on your question? Where have you heard about this component? What do you mean by platform? What kind of platform? What do you think an "underplatform damper" would be used for?

berkeman said:
Can you expand a bit on your question? Where have you heard about this component? What do you mean by platform? What kind of platform? What do you think an "underplatform damper" would be used for?

I guess the OP means something like
http://web.itu.edu.tr/sanliturk/Publications/GTP00919.pdf

There are many of variations on this basic idea used in rotating machinery like steam turbines, jet engines, etc.

Yes, AlephZero- that's exactly what I was talking about.

Reason is, I have done consideerable finite element coding related to dynamics/vibrations -however recently I have been introduced to terminologies/components involving jet engines in general.I'm mainly a structural engineer.

Therefore, was getting into foums/weikepedia and getting a feel of terminologies.

I was looking for someone to explain me this in an intuitive way so that I can expand my thought process than being just mathematical.

Sorry berkeman if question was unclear.

Please can anyone help further - i.e.an intuitive way of undestanding the function of underplatform damper?

Please can anyone help?

1. What is an underplatform damper?

An underplatform damper is a type of vibration control device that is used in the aerospace industry. It is typically installed on aircraft engine mounts and is designed to reduce the vibration and noise produced by the engine.

2. How does an underplatform damper work?

The underplatform damper consists of a mass that is attached to the engine mount structure through a spring. This mass is able to move in response to the engine vibration, and the movement is damped by the viscous fluid within the damper. This reduces the amount of vibration transmitted to the aircraft structure.

3. What are the benefits of using an underplatform damper?

The use of underplatform dampers can greatly reduce the vibration and noise levels in aircraft engines. This can lead to a more comfortable ride for passengers and can also improve the overall performance and lifespan of the engine.

4. How is an underplatform damper different from other types of dampers?

An underplatform damper is specifically designed for use in aircraft engines, whereas other types of dampers may be used in different industries or applications. Additionally, underplatform dampers are typically smaller and more lightweight to accommodate for the weight restrictions in aircraft.

5. What are some common uses for underplatform dampers?

In addition to their use in aircraft engines, underplatform dampers can also be used in other industries such as automotive, power generation, and industrial machinery. They are typically used in any application where vibration and noise control is necessary.