Installing Motorized Dampers in Basement HVAC: Will It Work?

• Thread starter Jmiller78
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hvac Work
In summary: It is referring to the output of the wall plug in transformer that comes with the damper, the damper itself should only use 6 VA, if you use S(VA) = I(A) × V(V) to calculate VA....
Jmiller78
TL;DR Summary
I'm wanting to install some motorized dampers in my basement. Need help with some of the numbers.
I'm installing 4 motorized dampers in my basement HVAC, the motor on each unit is 24V drawing 6 watts at 0.25 Amps. I will be powering them from one 24V 40VA transformer. One temperature controller, that uses direct output and has a max output capacity of 10A, will be installed between the power supply and the dampers. My question is will this work without burning something up? Should i wire the dampers in parallel to keep the voltage the same across all the motors? And what does direct output mean on the transformer, does it just match input voltage and amps?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have a similar setup in my basement and yes it will work. Yes you need to wire in parallel. Since you had to ask, it would probably be a good idea to draw a diagram so we can check if anything else is missing.

Likes Jmiller78
Jmiller78 said:
Summary: I'm wanting to install some motorized dampers in my basement. Need help with some of the numbers.

And what does direct output mean on the transformer, does it just match input voltage and amps?
Please post a link to datasheets for the transformer, the controller, and the motor; or a photos of the nameplate on each of them.

The "direct" output could mean that it has DC (Direct Current) output. The (older) damper motors I am familiar with were all AC (Alternating Current).

Cheers,
Tom

Jmiller78 said:
OK from what I understand the temperature controller comes in 3 types, they are all function wise the same the only difference is in the relay inside and how much voltage/current can it switch.

There is just one problem here. The XH-3001 you seem to have is meant to be powered by DC of either 12 or 24 volts, but the duct vent you have has a motor that powers from 24 Volts AC.
You need to open the back cover of your white temp controller and see , ideally check with a multimeter whether the input (red black) wires are electrically connected to either of the yellow and black wires , because if they are as in the videos I just saw then that means your temp controller output is DC not AC and that is a pain.

It's easy to get AC to DC but not so easy to get AC from DC.

Your duct seems to operate by a 24 VAC motor where probably the 24v input means the duct opens fully and any less input means the duct opens half way or so. But the input has to be AC it seems.
That duct I think works similarly to a electrically controlled car throttle valve where the car ECU sends PWM to it to control how much it opens.

If you had some electronics skills you could in theory separate the temp controller input power from the relay and use the relay simply as a switch instead of a switch that already has power coming out of it.
The way it stands now it seems to me your out of luck. For these types of ducts you would need a temp controller that can take in 24v AC and control it's voltage.

If you had the 220v version as this guy in the video below, then you could just attach the output to your transformer primary and the temp controller would just switch your transformer on/off from the mains side whenever it wanted to engage or switch off the duct and then just wire the transformer secondary 24VAC to duct motor directly.

Here is another video about your controller
Tell me do you understand , and please report back about what kind of controller exactly you have, maybe ideally open the back cover and take photos inside, and if possible measure continuity with a tester of your controller input and output wires

Alright, I understand, I would take it apart but it won't get here until tomorrow, but This one before the transformer would work, I take it. Also does wiring the duct motors in parallel make the most sense to keep the voltage at 24V?

Yes, that controller looks like it would work if wired before the transformer. You STILL need a bigger transformer to drive four dampers though.

Tom.G said:
Yes, that controller looks like it would work if wired before the transformer. You STILL need a bigger transformer to drive four dampers though.
I believe it is referring to the output of the wall plug in transformer that comes with the damper, the damper itself should only use 6 VA, if you use S(VA) = I(A) × V(V) to calculate VA. I attached a pic of the transformer that comes with it below
1655358472614.png

1655358568462.png

Last edited:
Jmiller78 said:
Alright, I understand, I would take it apart but it won't get here until tomorrow, but This one before the transformer would work, I take it. Also does wiring the duct motors in parallel make the most sense to keep the voltage at 24V?
Yes this is the one you should have got from the start , you could have also got one that can simply relay a supplied input to output. Then you could supply the controller input with your 24 VAC and it would switch your output of 24 VAC on and off.
I believe in theory you can redo your existing one, but that would require you to understand some electronics and I'm not sure where you are on that.

The controller board has a 24 volt relay already inside, it is just wired such that it already takes your controller power supply power and switches that through the relay to he output so the output is DC which is essentially the same DC you supply that controller with.
Instead you could just leave the DC for the controller supply and then make the controller relay switch a separate voltage. The controller only controls the coil of the relay, the contacts can be made to switch any provided voltage, doesn't necessarily have to be the controllers own DC power.
But as I said depends on your level.

artis said:
Yes this is the one you should have got from the start , you could have also got one that can simply relay a supplied input to output. Then you could supply the controller input with your 24 VAC and it would switch your output of 24 VAC on and off.
I believe in theory you can redo your existing one, but that would require you to understand some electronics and I'm not sure where you are on that.

The controller board has a 24 volt relay already inside, it is just wired such that it already takes your controller power supply power and switches that through the relay to he output so the output is DC which is essentially the same DC you supply that controller with.
Instead you could just leave the DC for the controller supply and then make the controller relay switch a separate voltage. The controller only controls the coil of the relay, the contacts can be made to switch any provided voltage, doesn't necessarily have to be the controllers own DC power.
But as I said depends on your level.
Thay makes sense, i would give it a try if i was in dire straights but i just ordered the one for 110/220, should be here tomorrow

Jmiller78 said:
Thay makes sense, i would give it a try if i was in dire straights but i just ordered the one for 110/220, should be here tomorrow
ok , well for that you would simply add the controller output to the primary of your transformer the secondary of the transformer wire directly to the duct motors. Let us know how you do

Got it all hooked up, the thermostat controller, then transformer, then a switch, then the dampers, works great, thanks for all your help guys

Likes Tom.G, jim mcnamara and berkeman

1. Can motorized dampers be installed in any type of basement HVAC system?

Yes, motorized dampers can be installed in most types of basement HVAC systems, including forced-air, radiant, and geothermal systems. However, it is important to consult with a professional to ensure that the dampers are compatible with your specific system.

2. Will installing motorized dampers in my basement HVAC system save me money on energy costs?

In most cases, yes. Motorized dampers allow for more precise control over the distribution of air in your home, which can lead to more efficient heating and cooling. By only heating or cooling the areas that need it, you can potentially save money on your energy bills.

3. How do motorized dampers work?

Motorized dampers are controlled by a small motor that opens and closes the damper based on signals from your thermostat. When the thermostat registers a change in temperature, it sends a signal to the motor to adjust the damper accordingly. This allows for more precise control over the flow of air in your home.

4. Will installing motorized dampers affect the air quality in my basement?

No, motorized dampers should not have any significant impact on the air quality in your basement. They are designed to regulate the flow of air, not to filter or purify it. However, it is important to regularly clean and maintain your HVAC system to ensure good air quality throughout your home.

5. Can I install motorized dampers myself, or do I need to hire a professional?

It is recommended to hire a professional to install motorized dampers in your basement HVAC system. This ensures that the dampers are installed correctly and that they are compatible with your system. Additionally, a professional can help you determine the best placement for the dampers to maximize their effectiveness.