Understanding a proof about groups and cosets

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that Ha=Hb iff ab^{-1} \in H for a subgroup H of a group G and elements a and b of G. The conversation also touches on the definition of Ha and how it relates to the identity element in H, as well as the necessary and sufficient condition for H to be a subgroup of G.
cragar

Homework Statement

H is a subgroup of G, and a and b are elements of G.

Show that Ha=Hb iff [itex] ab^{-1} \in H [/itex] .

The Attempt at a Solution

line 1: Then a=1a=hb for some h in H.
then we multiply both sides by b inverse.
and we get [itex] ab^{-1}=h [/itex]
This is a proof in my book.
My question is on line 1 when they write 1a, is 1 the identity element in H.
So basically Ha=1a and this trick allows the rest to follow.

Physics news on Phys.org
H is a subgroup, so the identity in G is also the identity in H.

Actually my answer was a bit short, so let me expand on it a bit more.

Recall the definition ##Ha \equiv \{ ha \mid h \in H \}##. Let's consider the '=>' direction first and assume that ##Ha = Hb##. Consider the fixed element ##a##. Since ##e \in H## (I prefer e over 1 to indicate the identity element), ##a = ea \in Ha##. On the other hand, since Ha = Hb, ##a \in Hb## meaning that there exists some ##h \in H## such that ##a = hb##. From this is follows that ##a b^{-1} (= h) \in H## which is all you needed to show.

I assume that after that they proceed to show the converse, i.e. if ##a b^{-1} \in H## for the given elements ##a, b## then ##Ha = Hb##. I imagine that proof will run along the lines of: assume ##ab^{-1} \in H##, let ##h \in H## be arbitrary, then ##h a = h a (b^{-1} b) = h (a b^{-1}) b## and since H is a subgroup, ##h (ab^{-1})## is the product of two elements in H which is itself in H, so ##h a = h' b## with ##h' ( = h a b^{-1}) \in H##, hence ##Ha \subseteq Hb## - the proof for ##Hb \subseteq Ha## follows similarly.

[edit]Note that actually ##\forall a, b \in G \left( a, b \in H \implies ab^{-1} \in H \right)## is a necessary and sufficient condition for H to be a subgroup of G. So basically your theorem is "Ha = Hb iff H is a subgroup" or "For subgroups, and subgroups only, all right cosets are equal".

Last edited:
ok thanks

Related to Understanding a proof about groups and cosets

1. What is a group?

A group is a mathematical structure consisting of a set of elements and a binary operation that combines any two elements in the set to produce a third element in the set. The operation must be associative, have an identity element, and have an inverse element for each element in the set.

2. What are cosets?

Cosets are subsets of a group that are formed by multiplying each element in the subset by a fixed element in the group. They help to partition a group into smaller, more manageable sets.

3. Why is understanding proofs about groups and cosets important?

Understanding proofs about groups and cosets is important because it allows us to gain a deeper understanding of the structure and properties of groups. This knowledge has many practical applications in fields such as cryptography, coding theory, and physics.

4. What are some common properties of groups?

Some common properties of groups include closure (the result of the operation on two elements in the group is also in the group), associativity (the order in which the operation is performed does not matter), identity (there exists an element that does not change when operated on), and inverse (there exists an element that when operated on with another element, produces the identity element).

5. How can I improve my understanding of proofs about groups and cosets?

One way to improve your understanding of proofs about groups and cosets is to practice solving problems and proofs on your own. Additionally, seeking out resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and group theory communities can provide valuable insights and explanations. Finally, asking questions and actively engaging with the material can also help to improve understanding.