Understanding Bernoulli's Equation for Fluid Dynamics with Electric Pumps

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties with applying Bernoulli's equation when an electric pump is involved. The individual understands how to apply it for venturi and pitot tubes but struggles when work is being done on the system, such as with a water pump or fan exhaust. They ask for assistance with part a), and provide their answer but are unsure if it is correct. The conversation also addresses an error in part b) where the work was incorrectly assumed to be subtracted from point 1 instead of being added.
mattyboson12
Hi, am having a few problems applying bernoulli's equation when an electric pump is involved. I have attached a picture of the question. I understand how to apply bernoullis for venturi and pitot tubes but when it involves work being done on the system eg. a water pump, fan exhaust I don't know where to start.

Attachments

• IMG_2558.jpg
    IMG_2558.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 453
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you attempt to answer part a)?

Thank you for the reply. This is my answer but I'm not sure if its right as I am getting a negative value for the pump power?

Attachments

• IMG_2563.jpg
    IMG_2563.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 437
For part b), you assumed that the difference between the energies at point 1 and 5 is equal to the Work done by the pump. This is correct except the Work is effectively being added to the system at point 1. You incorrectly assumed it is being subtracted from point 1 (or equivalently that it was being added at point 5).

The water coming out at point 5 doesn't really know if there was a pump or if the water level was much higher than that as shown at point 1. So all the energy terms should be additive at point 1 and be set equal to the energy terms at point 5.

Hello,

Thank you for your question. Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental equation in fluid dynamics that relates the pressure, velocity, and height of a fluid in a system. It is commonly used to analyze the flow of fluids in pipes, pumps, and other systems.

When an electric pump is involved, the equation can still be applied, but there are some additional factors to consider. First, the pump itself will add energy to the system, increasing the velocity and potentially changing the pressure of the fluid. This added energy will need to be accounted for in the equation.

Additionally, the pump will also have an impact on the overall flow rate and pressure of the fluid in the system. Therefore, it is important to consider the pump's characteristics, such as its flow rate and head, when applying Bernoulli's equation.

One approach to solving problems involving electric pumps and Bernoulli's equation is to break the system into smaller sections and analyze each section separately. This will allow you to account for the changes in pressure and velocity caused by the pump at each section.

In terms of the specific problem you have attached, it may be helpful to first identify the different sections of the system and then apply Bernoulli's equation to each section, taking into account the work done by the pump. It may also be useful to consider the conservation of energy in the system, as the pump will be adding energy to the fluid.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Wishing you success in your studies of fluid dynamics.

Best,

Related to Understanding Bernoulli's Equation for Fluid Dynamics with Electric Pumps

1. What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of fluids (liquids and gases) and the forces that act on them.

2. What are the applications of fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics has numerous real-world applications, including in the design of aircrafts, cars, and ships, as well as in weather forecasting, oceanography, and geology.

3. What are some key principles of fluid dynamics?

Some key principles of fluid dynamics include the conservation of mass, the Bernoulli's principle, and the Navier-Stokes equations.

4. How does fluid viscosity affect its flow?

Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. High viscosity fluids, such as honey, flow more slowly than low viscosity fluids, such as water.

5. What are the differences between laminar and turbulent flow?

Laminar flow is characterized by smooth and orderly movement of fluid particles, while turbulent flow is chaotic and unpredictable. Turbulent flow often occurs at high velocities and/or in the presence of obstacles or irregularities in the flow.