Understanding Big R(t) in Astronomy: A Physical Perspective

In summary: However, in this text, they're using a different notation, where ##R(t)## takes units of distance and can be interpreted as a scale factor.In summary, the scale factor describes the expansion of the universe.
scoopaloop
I'm having trouble with with understanding what this is, our text, Astronomy: a physical Perspective by Kutner, uses R(t). I understand r(t) is the distance between two objects at a point in time, but what is the scale factor big R(t)?

Space news on Phys.org
scoopaloop said:
I'm having trouble with with understanding what this is, our text, Astronomy: a physical Perspective by Kutner, uses R(t). I understand r(t) is the distance between two objects at a point in time, but what is the scale factor big R(t)?
The scale factor describes the expansion of the universe. So, if the distance between two points at some initial time is d_0, after a time t, the distance between the points will be d(t)=R(t)d_0

cristo said:
The scale factor describes the expansion of the universe. So, if the distance between two points at some initial time is d_0, after a time t, the distance between the points will be d(t)=R(t)d_0
Not quite. This assumes that ##R(t)=1## at the same time as ##d_0##. The more correct way of stating it is:

[tex]{d(t_1) \over R(t_1)} = {d(t_2) \over R(t_2)}[/tex]

For me, it's a bit easier to understand if you use the ##a(t)## notation, where the current scale factor is defined to be ##a(t=now) = 1##. This simplifies things to be more like your equation above:

[tex]d(t) = a(t) d_0[/tex]

Where ##d_0## is defined as the current distance.

I'm not sure I get it, could you explain it in the sense of the book I am using, on the right side of the page.

upload_2015-4-3_22-40-5.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-4-3_22-39-22.png
    upload_2015-4-3_22-39-22.png
    71.7 KB · Views: 494
scoopaloop said:
I'm not sure I get it, could you explain it in the sense of the book I am using, on the right side of the page.

View attachment 81452
Looks like they're using the form usually attributed to ##a(t)##. Notation can be confusing sometimes :P

The basic jist of it is: scale factor doubles, distances between objects doubles. So if two galaxies were a billion light years apart when the scale factor was 0.5, then those two galaxies are currently two billion light years apart (currently the scale factor is defined as 1, using their notation).

Okay, I think I get it. It just gets confusing to me when they throw so many different r(t)s and rs in there. Thanks.

Chalnoth said:
For me, it's a bit easier to understand if you use the a(t)a(t) notation, where the current scale factor is defined to be a(t=now)=1a(t=now) = 1. This simplifies things to be more like your equation above:

d(t)=a(t)d0
d(t) = a(t) d_0

Where d0d_0 is defined as the current distance.

Chalnoth said:
Looks like they're using the form usually attributed to a(t)a(t). Notation can be confusing sometimes :P

I thought R(t) and a(t) were just different notation for the same thing (I've never seen the version of R(t) that you define above, before). You're right, notation can be confusing!

cristo said:
I thought R(t) and a(t) were just different notation for the same thing (I've never seen the version of R(t) that you define above, before). You're right, notation can be confusing!
That's what makes it a bit confusing. Usually ##a(t)## is defined so that the current scale factor is equal to one, and is considered a unitless parameter. Usually ##R(t)## is defined so that ##k = {1, 0, -1}##. This makes it so that ##R(t)## takes units of length and can be interpreted as a radius of curvature.

Likes cristo

1. What is Big R(t) in astronomy and why is it important?

Big R(t) refers to the scale factor in cosmology, which represents the expansion of the universe. It is a crucial concept in understanding the evolution of the universe and plays a key role in various cosmological models.

2. How is Big R(t) related to the Hubble parameter?

The Hubble parameter, denoted as H(t), is defined as the rate of expansion of the universe. It is directly related to Big R(t) through the equation R(t) = c/H(t), where c is the speed of light. This relationship allows us to measure the expansion of the universe by observing the redshift of distant galaxies.

3. Can Big R(t) change over time?

Yes, Big R(t) is not a constant and can change over time. In fact, according to the standard model of cosmology, the universe has been expanding since the Big Bang and is expected to continue expanding in the future. However, the rate of expansion may vary depending on the presence of matter and energy in the universe.

4. How does the value of Big R(t) affect the curvature of the universe?

The value of Big R(t) is directly related to the curvature of the universe. If Big R(t) is greater than the critical value, the universe is considered to have a flat geometry. If it is less than the critical value, the universe is curved. This critical value is determined by the density of matter and energy in the universe.

5. Are there any current theories or research related to understanding Big R(t)?

Yes, there is ongoing research in the field of cosmology to better understand the behavior of Big R(t). Some theories, such as inflationary models, attempt to explain the initial conditions of the universe and the early expansion. Other studies focus on the effects of dark energy on the expansion rate of the universe and its impact on Big R(t).