Understanding Bond Energies: X-Y Bond Energy Contribution

In summary, the bond energy (E A-B) between two bonded atoms, X and Y, is greatly influenced by the difference in their electronegativities (eX and eY). When X is small and Y is large, the bond energy will have a large ionic contribution due to the high ionic character of the bond. This is determined by the percentage difference in the electronegativities of the two atoms. Therefore, the size of the respective atoms plays a significant role in determining the bond energy and its ionic character.
guiromero
Hello.

Could someone please help me with this question about bond energy from an MIT course:

"For two bonded atoms X and Y, a small X and large Y will result in a bond energy (E A-B) with a large __________ contribution."

Thanks a lot if someone can help.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I've already gotten the answer, it's "ionic".

Why is it ionic?

I got this answer from another forum and the person said that these types of bonds have a high ionic character, which is the percentage of difference between the electronegativity of two covalently bonded atoms.

Why would you expect the electronegativity of the respective atoms to depend upon the size of those atoms?

Sorry, I forgot to correct the statement. The correct is like that:

"For two bonded atoms X and Y, a small eX and large eY will result in a bond energy (E A-B) with a large __________ contribution."

Where e = electronegativity

1. What is a bond energy?

Bond energy refers to the amount of energy required to break a chemical bond between two atoms in a molecule. It is also known as bond dissociation energy.

2. How is bond energy measured?

Bond energy is typically measured in units of kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol). This value is determined experimentally by measuring the amount of energy released or absorbed when a bond is broken or formed.

3. What factors affect bond energy?

The strength of a bond is influenced by several factors, including the types of atoms involved, the distance between the atoms, and the presence of any surrounding molecules or ions. Generally, the shorter and stronger the bond, the higher the bond energy.

4. How does bond energy contribute to chemical reactions?

Bond energy plays a crucial role in chemical reactions as it determines the stability of a molecule. When bonds are broken, energy is required, and when bonds are formed, energy is released. The difference in bond energies between reactants and products determines the overall energy change of a reaction.

5. Can bond energy be used to predict the strength of a chemical bond?

Yes, bond energy can be used to predict the strength of a chemical bond. Generally, the higher the bond energy, the stronger the bond. However, other factors such as bond length and the presence of multiple bonds also play a role in determining bond strength.