Understanding Concave Lenses: A Homework Statement

In summary, the question is about finding the image distance and magnification for a concave lens in water. The person has correctly found the radius of curvature and focal length in air, but is confused about the negative focal length and the possibility of a diverging concave lens. They have also found the image distance and magnification, and have figured out the solution on their own. Therefore, no further answer is needed.
indie452

Homework Statement

the question is attached

de.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

ok so a and b i can do but c), i donts know whether my answer is right and I am a little confused about the conceptual idea...

so first thing i did was found the radius of curvature using the lens maker equ using the original setup in air...this i found to be 16cm... [note r1 = -r2]

next i found the focal length in the water situation (i know it doesn't ask for it but still)...this i found to be -81.8cm...
this confuses me cause i thought that only concave lens had negative focal lengths and this is a concave lens...also can the focal length be greater than the radius in a lens? i think it can but can't find anywhere that confirms this...

now to find the image distance s' ... 1/f = 1/s + 1/s'

i got s' = -37.73cm

then magnification i can do but is what I've done ok?
also can you have a diverging lens that is concave if the object is infront of the focal length? cause that is the only reason that i can think for the focal length to be negative...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ok i just drew the ray diagram and my image was on the same side as the object which agrees with the negative sign for the s'...but the image is further away than the focal point

see attached

Attachments

• rr4.jpg
    rr4.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 379
ive figured it out so no need to answer

Related to Understanding Concave Lenses: A Homework Statement

1. What is a concave lens?

A concave lens is a type of lens that is thinner in the middle and thicker at the edges. It is curved inward and causes light rays to spread out, creating a virtual image.

2. How does a concave lens affect light rays?

A concave lens causes light rays to diverge or spread out, making objects appear smaller and farther away. It also creates a virtual image that is upright and smaller than the original object.

3. What is the focal length of a concave lens?

The focal length of a concave lens is the distance between the lens and its focal point, where parallel light rays converge after passing through the lens. It is a negative value, as the focal point is located behind the lens.

4. How does the shape of a concave lens affect its properties?

The shape of a concave lens is what gives it its diverging properties. The curved surface causes light rays to spread out, creating a virtual image. The greater the curvature of the lens, the more the light rays will diverge.

5. What are some real-life applications of concave lenses?

Concave lenses are commonly used in eyeglasses to correct nearsightedness. They are also used in telescopes, microscopes, and cameras to produce magnified images. In addition, concave lenses are used in projectors and laser pointers to create a beam of light that spreads out.