Understanding Crystal Structures: How to Read Table Data for Modeling in VESTA

H may stand for Hydrogen.In summary, the conversation discusses a table describing the structure of a compound and the confusion around understanding the columns SOF and H. The compound has a cubic crystal system with a space group number of 205. It is modeled in a program called VESTA and it is suggested that the SOF column refers to site occupancy fraction, indicating the presence of both Se and As in the crystal. The column H likely stands for Hydrogen.
dipole
Hello, I have a table here which describes the structure of a certain compound, but I'm unsure how exactly to read it.

Unit Cell 5.940(3) 5.940(3) 5.940(3) 90.0 90.0 90.0
Vol 209.58
Z 4
Space Group P a -3
SG Number 205
Cryst Sys cubic
Pearson cP12
Wyckoff c a
Red Cell P 5.94 5.94 5.94 90 90 90 209.585
Atom # OX SITE x y z SOF H
As 1 -1 8 c 0.383 0.383 0.383 .5 0
Se 1 -1 8 c 0.383 0.383 0.383 .5 0
Ir 1 +2 4 a 0 0 0 1. 0

I am unsure what the columns SOF and H might mean. I want to model this crystal in a program, but as you can see the As and Se atom are located in the same position, so my guess is that they somehow alternate with each other, but I'm exactly sure how to put the data in the program. I'm using VESTA if anyone's familiar with it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
My best guess is SOF = site occupancy fraction. So, half of those sites are Se, and half are As. It may be disordered, so the Se and As are randomly distributed in the crystal.

1. What is the purpose of this table?

The purpose of this table is to present data in a structured format, making it easier to interpret and analyze.

2. How do I read this table?

To read this table, start by identifying the column and row headings. These will give you an idea of what type of data is being presented. Then, read across each row or down each column to compare and analyze the data.

3. What do the numbers/letters/symbols in the table represent?

The numbers, letters, or symbols in the table represent different categories or values of the data being presented. They can represent measurements, percentages, or other types of information.

4. Are there any patterns or trends in the data?

To identify patterns or trends in the data, look for consistent or recurring values or changes in values across the table. You can also plot the data on a graph to visualize any trends more clearly.

5. Can I manipulate the data in this table?

It depends on the source and format of the table. Some tables may be editable, allowing you to make changes or add your own data. However, other tables may be read-only and cannot be manipulated.