Understanding Hermetic Seals on Centrifuges: Types and Conversion Possibilities

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a continuous lab scale liquid-liquid centrifuge that is hermetically sealed for production purposes. The issue lies in finding a unit that is both hermetically sealed and suitable for lab use. The speaker asks questions about the functionality and differences between hermetic and hydrohermetic seals on centrifuges, as well as the possibility of converting a non-hermetically sealed unit to hermetic. The conversation concludes with a request for suggestions and help from vendors.
proc_eng
Hi all,

I am currently in the process of identifying a continuous lab scale liquid-liquid centrifuge for developmental work that may translate to our production unit. We know that only hermetically sealed unit would work for our type of separation, but the issue I encounter is that I either found a unit that is hermetically sealed and pretty large (not ideal for the lab) or a unit that fits lab scale but is not hermetically sealed.

Few questions I have:
1. How does hermetic seal work exactly on a centrifuge? Is it just a kind of seal similar to a mechanical seal?
2. I have also read about hydrohermetic seal on a centrifuge. How is it different in comparison to hermetic seal?
3. Based on your experience, how difficult is it to convert a non hermetically sealed unit to hermetic? Is it even possible? If yes, how? If not, why?

Any suggestions and helps are appreciated. I've talked to multiple vendors and could not get a straight answer.
Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
A hermetic seal is just one that is airtight. They can certainly be mechanical seals (aircraft doors for example).

Suck the air out of a plastic bag around an apple and seal it with a heat gun - that's an hermetic seal.

Hydrohermetic, although I'm not entirely sure, it sounds like an airtight seal that uses a liquid to improve the seal quality.

I don't know about conversion of units. It's either airtight or it's not.

1. What is a centrifuge and how does it work?

A centrifuge is a laboratory instrument that spins samples at high speeds in order to separate components based on their density. The sample is placed in a tube and then rotated at a high speed, causing the heavier components to move towards the bottom of the tube while the lighter components remain at the top.

2. What types of samples can be processed using a centrifuge?

A centrifuge can be used to process a wide range of samples, including blood, urine, DNA, proteins, and cell cultures. It can also be used for separation and purification of various substances in industries such as pharmaceuticals and biotechnology.

3. What is a hermetic seal and why is it important for a centrifuge?

A hermetic seal is an airtight and leak-proof seal that prevents any external substances from entering the centrifuge during operation. It is important for a centrifuge because it ensures the safety of the operator and maintains the integrity of the sample being processed.

4. How is a hermetic seal created in a centrifuge?

A hermetic seal is created by using a gasket or O-ring that is compressed between the lid and the body of the centrifuge. This creates a tight seal that prevents any air or liquid from entering or escaping the centrifuge during operation.

5. What are the potential risks associated with a centrifuge and hermetic seal?

The most common risk associated with a centrifuge is the potential for sample leakage or breakage, which can result in contamination or damage to the centrifuge. Additionally, if the hermetic seal is not properly maintained, there is a risk of the centrifuge overheating or malfunctioning, which can be hazardous to both the operator and the sample being processed.