Understanding Iterative Derivatives of Log Functions

In summary,...In summary, the writer recommends differentiating the function to find a derivative and then using induction to prove the derivative is true for all n.
Kolika28
Homework Statement
Let f (x) = ln x. Use induction to justify why the ninth derivative to f in x = 1 is f(9) (1) = 40 320 and the fifteenth derivative is f (15) (1) =
87 178 291 200.
Relevant Equations
n=k
n=k+1
Derivative of lnx is 1/x.
I have never used induction to justify the derivative to a function, so I don't know where to start. Does anyone have some tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kolika28 said:
I don't know where to start
A little googling perhaps ?

Kolika28 said:
Homework Statement: Let f (x) = ln x. Use induction to justify why the ninth derivative to f in x = 1 is f(9) (1) = 40 320 and the fifteenth derivative is f (15) (1) =
87 178 291 200.
Homework Equations: n=k
n=k+1
Derivative of lnx is 1/x.

I have never used induction to justify the derivative to a function, so I don't know where to start. Does anyone have some tips?

You can start by differentiating the function and looking for a pattern in the successive derivatives. Why isn't that obvious?

The general outline of a basic inductive proof is in two steps:
1) Prove it is true for N=1
2) Prove that, assuming it is true for N=n, prove it is true for N=n+1.

There is another variation where in step #2 you assume that it is true for N##\le##n. That is sometimes necessary. It is just as valid and it gives you more to work with in your proof.

BvU said:
A little googling perhaps ?
I tried to google it, but I still did not understand.

PeroK said:
You can start by differentiating the function and looking for a pattern in the successive derivatives. Why isn't that obvious?
Induction is one of the things I struggle with in math, that why it was not obvious to me. Thanks for the tips by the way.

FactChecker said:
The general outline of a basic inductive proof is in two steps:
1) Prove it is true for N=1
2) Prove that, assuming it is true for N=n, prove it is true for N=n+1.

There is another variation where in step #2 you assume that it is true for N##\le##n. That is sometimes necessary. It is just as valid and it gives you more to work with in your proof.
Thank you for the tips and tricks. But how do I prove for n when I don't have a general formula? Do I have to make a general formula for the derivative of lnx?

Kolika28 said:
general formula for the derivative of lnx?
For the nth derivative

BvU said:
For the nth derivative
Yes exactly, I'm sorry for my bad explanation, but that's what I meant. I have a hard time understanding how to find the formula for the nth derivative to lnx.

Do you know what the first derivative of ##ln(x)## and of ##x^{-n}## are? That should be all you need.

PS. When you are stuck by an intimidating problem, do what you can do. You might find out that you can do a lot more than you anticipated.

The first thing I would do is calculate a few derivatives. With f(x)= ln(x), [tex]f'= 1/x= x^{-1}[/tex], [tex]f''(x)= -x^{-2}[/tex], [tex]f'''= 2x^{-3}[/tex], [tex]f^{IV}= -6x^{-4}[/tex], [tex]f^{V}= 24x^{-5}[/tex], etc.
Did you do that? Looking at that, I see that the sign is alternating so of the form -1 to some power. The coefficient is a factorial: 1= 0!= 1!, 2= 2!l, 6= 3!, 24= 4!, etc. And, finally, the power of x is the negative of the order of the derivative. That is [tex]f^{(n)}(x)= 0=(-1)^{n+1}(n-``1)! x^{-n}[/tex]. It remains to use induction to prove that.
When n= 1, the derivative is [tex]\frac{1}{x}= x^{-1}[/tex]. The formula gives [tex](-1)^2(0!)x^{-1}= x^{-1}[/tex] so is true for x= 1.
Now assume that for some n= k, [tex]f^{(n)}(x)= (-1)^{k+1}(k-1)!x^{-k}[/tex]. Then [tex]f^{(k+1)}= (-1)^{k+1}(k-1)!(-kx^{-k-1})= (-1)^{k+1+ 1}k!x^{-(k+1)}[/tex]

• Love
Likes Kolika28
Kolika28 said:
Yes exactly, I'm sorry for my bad explanation, but that's what I meant. I have a hard time understanding how to find the formula for the nth derivative to lnx.

If you want to find a derivative, you differentiate the function! If you want to find the second derivative, you differentiate the first derivative. And so on.

HallsofIvy said:
The first thing I would do is calculate a few derivatives. With f(x)= ln(x), [tex]f'= 1/x= x^{-1}[/tex], [tex]f''(x)= -x^{-2}[/tex], [tex]f'''= 2x^{-3}[/tex], [tex]f^{IV}= -6x^{-4}[/tex], [tex]f^{V}= 24x^{-5}[/tex], etc.
Did you do that? Looking at that, I see that the sign is alternating so of the form -1 to some power. The coefficient is a factorial: 1= 0!= 1!, 2= 2!l, 6= 3!, 24= 4!, etc. And, finally, the power of x is the negative of the order of the derivative. That is [tex]f^{(n)}(x)= 0=(-1)^{n+1}(n-``1)! x^{-n}[/tex]. It remains to use induction to prove that.
When n= 1, the derivative is [tex]\frac{1}{x}= x^{-1}[/tex]. The formula gives [tex](-1)^2(0!)x^{-1}= x^{-1}[/tex] so is true for x= 1.
Now assume that for some n= k, [tex]f^{(n)}(x)= (-1)^{k+1}(k-1)!x^{-k}[/tex]. Then [tex]f^{(k+1)}= (-1)^{k+1}(k-1)!(-kx^{-k-1})= (-1)^{k+1+ 1}k!x^{-(k+1)}[/tex]
Thank you so much! I finally understand it. I really appreciate your help! :)

What is an iterative derivative of log?

An iterative derivative of log is a mathematical process used to calculate the derivative of a logarithmic function by repeatedly applying the quotient rule.

How do you perform an iterative derivative of log?

To perform an iterative derivative of log, you first identify the logarithmic function and then apply the quotient rule. Next, you repeat this process until you reach the desired level of precision.

What is the purpose of using iterative derivatives of log?

The purpose of using iterative derivatives of log is to calculate the derivative of a logarithmic function with a high level of precision. This is especially useful in scientific and mathematical applications where small errors can have significant impacts on the results.

What are the limitations of using iterative derivatives of log?

One limitation of using iterative derivatives of log is that it can be a time-consuming process, especially for complex logarithmic functions. Additionally, this method may not be suitable for functions with discontinuities or other irregularities.

Are there any alternative methods for calculating derivatives of log?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as using the power rule or logarithmic differentiation to calculate derivatives of log. However, iterative derivatives may be preferred for their precision in certain cases.