Understanding Peskin's Argument for Equation 6.46

• Thread starter kof9595995
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Peskin
This is why the left hand side of the equation becomes $\int{\frac{d^{4}l}{(2\pi)^4}\frac{\frac{1}{4}g^{\mu\nu}l^2}{D^3}}$. In summary, Peskin is using Lorentz invariance to show that the integral must be proportional to the metric tensor, and the proportionality constant is determined by plugging in $\mu=\nu$.
kof9595995
I don't quite get the argument peskin used to obtain equation(6.46), page 191:
[tex]\int{\frac{d^{4}l}{(2\pi)^4}\frac{l^{\mu}l^{\nu}}{D^3}}=\int{\frac{d^{4}l}{(2\pi)^4}\frac{\frac{1}{4}g^{\mu\nu}l^2}{D^3}}[/tex]
He said"The integral vanishes by symmetry unless [itex]\mu=\nu[/itex]. Lorentz invariance therefore requires that we get something proportional to [itex]g^{\mu\nu}[/itex]...".
I don't understand the "Lorentz invariance therefore..." part. How can one deduce from Lorentz invariance that LHS is an invariant tensor?
I can convince myself the result by arguing spherical symmetry of the integrand, but I just want to understand Peskin's reasoning.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks in advance.A:Peskin is using the fact that the integral must be Lorentz invariant, which means that it is a tensor. The only way for a scalar to be a tensor is if it is proportional to the metric tensor. This means that the integral must be proportional to $g^{\mu\nu}$, and the proportionality constant is determined by plugging in $\mu=\nu$ into the integral.

Related to Understanding Peskin's Argument for Equation 6.46

1. What is Peskin's argument for Equation 6.46?

Peskin's argument for Equation 6.46 is a mathematical proof that shows the relationship between a particle's energy and its momentum in the context of quantum field theory.

2. Why is Equation 6.46 important?

Equation 6.46 is important because it is a fundamental equation in quantum field theory that helps us understand the behavior of particles at high energies and in the presence of strong forces.

3. How does Peskin's argument for Equation 6.46 differ from other theories?

Peskin's argument for Equation 6.46 is based on the principles of quantum field theory, which takes into account both quantum mechanics and special relativity. This differs from other theories, such as classical mechanics, which do not consider the effects of quantum phenomena.

4. What implications does Equation 6.46 have for our understanding of the universe?

Equation 6.46 has significant implications for our understanding of the universe as it provides a framework for describing the behavior of particles at the most fundamental level. It helps us understand the interactions between particles and how energy is transferred between them.

5. How can I learn more about Peskin's argument for Equation 6.46?

To learn more about Peskin's argument for Equation 6.46, you can read his book "An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" or consult other resources on quantum field theory and high energy physics. You can also attend lectures or workshops on the topic or discuss it with experts in the field.