Understanding Physics and Maths Terminology for Self-Study

In summary, the individual is an IGCSE student who has just finished their board examinations and is now preparing for their AS/A2 levels before pursuing engineering. They are trying to self-study in the fields of Maths and Physics in preparation for an entrance exam for IIT in 2 years. However, they are struggling with understanding the terminology and symbols used in CBSE style and other styles of Physics and Maths. They have encountered difficulty with topics such as Logorithms and Complex Numbers and are seeking help in understanding the symbols and concepts. They have tried using online resources, but still do not understand the equations and symbols used. They are asking for a basic introduction to the symbols and workings of Logorithms and other concepts.
ZoraxDoom
Hello. First, I'd like to make it clear, I am an IGCSE student who has just finished his board examinations, and is now getting ready to do is AS/A2 levels before pursuing engineering.

I'm trying to do some studying on my own, outside for school, particularly in the fields of Maths and Physics as I want to give an entrance exam for IIT in 2 years, and wish to get into a prestigious college as well as making my studying life in future years a bit easier.

But there is a problem I am encountering when I attempt to study the CBSE style or any other style for Physics and Maths.

I don't understand a bloody thing.

And it's not because I don't get what these books are trying to teach, it is because I just don't get the terminology and the symbols they use. I looked at one tutorial guide here (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=72040), and didn't understand any equation he wrote there! For example, what does that weird F and the small e mean? What's with the arrows? What is x supposed to stand for? What about the capital A?

I'll admit that was maybe a bit too advanced a topic for me, but I still encounter that problem when studying basic CBSE physics, especially when it comes to Logorithms. I have no clue what they are!

I'm currently studying trigonometry from scratch CBSE style, in order to understand how they do it so I can proceed with Complex Numbers. The revision book I'm reading from has Complex Numbers ahead of Logorithms, so I think I need to study that before I move onto Logs, but I really have no idea.

So could any helpful (and smart) soul please help me out with like a basic introduction into what all these symbols stand for, and into the workings of stuff like Logorithms and anything else I should know?

Thanks

Likes Delta2 and Richel Thomas
Physics news on Phys.org
@ZoraxDoom It's somehow ironic that your text may induce the same reaction that you complain about. What are these weird IGCSE, IIT, CBSE, AS/A2 symbols? They are less common than the math notations you complain about and still did not explain what they mean.

ZoraxDoom said:
Hello. First, I'd like to make it clear, I am an IGCSE student who has just finished his board examinations, and is now getting ready to do is AS/A2 levels before pursuing engineering.

I'm trying to do some studying on my own, outside for school, particularly in the fields of Maths and Physics as I want to give an entrance exam for IIT in 2 years, and wish to get into a prestigious college as well as making my studying life in future years a bit easier.

But there is a problem I am encountering when I attempt to study the CBSE style or any other style for Physics and Maths.

I don't understand a bloody thing.And it's not because I don't get what these books are trying to teach, it is because I just don't get the terminology and the symbols they use. I looked at one tutorial guide here (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=72040), and didn't understand any equation he wrote there! For example, what does that weird F and the small e mean? What's with the arrows? What is x supposed to stand for? What about the capital A?

I'll admit that was maybe a bit too advanced a topic for me, but I still encounter that problem when studying basic CBSE physics, especially when it comes to Logorithms. I have no clue what they are!

I'm currently studying trigonometry from scratch CBSE style, in order to understand how they do it so I can proceed with Complex Numbers. The revision book I'm reading from has Complex Numbers ahead of Logorithms, so I think I need to study that before I move onto Logs, but I really have no idea.

So could any helpful (and smart) soul please help me out with like a basic introduction into what all these symbols stand for, and into the workings of stuff like Logorithms and anything else I should know?

Thanks
This site cannot be a replacement for a structured course or textbook, both of which should cover the relevant notation.

An arrow above a letter indicates a vector.

I doubt that any answers will still be helpful for the OP.

Thread closed.

1. What is the difference between "Physics" and "Mathematics"?

Physics is a natural science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It involves the use of mathematical models and equations to explain and predict the behavior of physical systems. Mathematics, on the other hand, is a field of study that deals with numbers, quantities, and shapes, and their relationships through the use of symbols and equations. While physics and mathematics are closely related and often used together, they have distinct differences in their focus and methods.

2. What is the meaning of "Terminology" in the context of Physics and Maths?

Terminology refers to the specialized vocabulary and language used in a particular field or subject. In the context of physics and mathematics, terminology includes the specific terms, symbols, and notation used to describe concepts, equations, and theories. It is important for scientists and students to have a clear understanding of terminology to effectively communicate and understand complex ideas in these fields.

3. What is the significance of units in Physics and Maths?

Units are an essential aspect of physics and mathematics as they provide a standard and consistent way to measure and describe physical quantities and mathematical values. Units also allow for easy conversion between different systems of measurement and provide a common language for scientists and mathematicians to communicate their findings and ideas.

4. What is the difference between "Scalar" and "Vector" quantities in Physics?

Scalar quantities refer to physical quantities that have only magnitude, such as distance, speed, and mass. They are represented by a single numerical value and do not have a specific direction. On the other hand, vector quantities have both magnitude and direction, such as displacement, velocity, and force. They are represented by a magnitude and a direction, often using arrows or bold fonts.

5. How are "Formulas" and "Equations" different in Mathematics?

In mathematics, a formula is a mathematical relationship or rule expressed in symbols or words. It is used to solve a specific problem or calculate a specific value. An equation, on the other hand, is a statement that shows the equality between two mathematical expressions. Equations are used to represent general relationships between variables and can have multiple solutions. Formulas are often derived from equations, and equations can be used to create new formulas.