Understanding Power in Parallel Circuits: V^2/R vs. i^2R

Or, you can calculate the total current from V/R then apply I2R to each individual resistor and sum the results.It works fine if V is the voltage across the entire branch and R the total resistance of the branch. Also, if you can determine how the total voltage divides across each of the series resistors then you can apply V2/R to each of them individually and sum the results. Or, you can calculate the total current from V/R then apply I2R to each individual resistor and sum the results.In summary, when calculating power in a parallel circuit, it is not possible to use the equation P= i^2R where R is the equivalent resistance. Instead, the equation P= V^2
physics user1

Homework Statement

Why in a circuit in parallel I can't use P= i^2 R where R is the equivalent resistance? Why do I have to use P= V^2/R ?

Homework Equations

P= Vi , P= V^2/R , P= i^2R[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Please give an example circuit. Power dissipated in what?

Likes Thewindyfan
CWatters said:
Please give an example circuit. Power dissipated in what?
Dissipated in resistance,
an usual circuit with parallel resistances and a V created by a battery

Cozma Alex said:

Homework Statement

Why in a circuit in parallel I can't use P= i^2 R where R is the equivalent resistance? Why do I have to use P= V^2/R ?

Homework Equations

P= Vi , P= V^2/R , P= i^2R[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I dunno. Why do you think you cannot? Can you post a diagram of the circuits?

Well, beaten to the punch by CWatters as usual, but we still want more details to help you out... :confused:

berkeman said:
I dunno. Why do you think you cannot? Can you post a diagram of the circuits?

Q30, it asks to find the circuit which dissipate more power, all the resistance are R and the difference of potential is ε, why can't I find in each circuit the total resistance and say that the power is P= i^2 R and say that i is the same in each circuit? (So I can find out which dissipate more power by looking at the total resistance)

Isn't the current i the same in each case?

Why do I have to use P= ε^2 /R ? Isn't the same thing as using P= i^2 R ?

Attachments

• 1451782510290347370715.jpg
    1451782510290347370715.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 378
Last edited by a moderator:
Cozma Alex said:
I'm not able to see your very dim attachment.

Are you familiar with how current divides into parallel circuits? Maybe that's the disconnect here. For parallel circuits, the voltage is the same but the current flows through both parallel branches...

Likes Thewindyfan and physics user1
berkeman said:
I'm not able to see your very dim attachment.

Are you familiar with how current divides into parallel circuits? Maybe that's the disconnect here. For parallel circuits, the voltage is the same but the current flows through both parallel branches...
Yes I knew that, but I thought that calculating the total resistance is was able to "transform" each circuit into one with one resistance with a current i like that: (photo)

Then other approach that I had thinking at the problem was thinking that maybe i would have been different in each circuit

(Sorry for bad english )

Just thought that the current was the same in each case

Attachments

• 1451784418112-1233440756.jpg
    1451784418112-1233440756.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 355
Cozma Alex said:
Then other approach that I had thinking at the problem was thinking that maybe i would have been different in each circuit
Quite so. Reducing the parallel resistors to an equivalent single resistance allows you to work out the total current, but it does not tell you how much of that flows in each. The two individual currents will be in inverse proportion to the resistances.

Likes physics user1 and Thewindyfan
haruspex said:
The two individual currents will be in inverse proportion to the resistances.

So for this problem -I'm just assuming so don't take this to be an answer OP - but isn't it basically finding information from simplifying the current to have an equivalent resistance then applying that newfound info to the individual branches? Please let me know if that's the case, as I would like to solve a similar problem like this myself but cannot properly see this from the OP's posts. Thank you!

Thewindyfan said:
So for this problem -I'm just assuming so don't take this to be an answer OP - but isn't it basically finding information from simplifying the current to have an equivalent resistance then applying that newfound info to the individual branches?
yes, you can do it that way, but it is simpler just to apply V2/R to each in the first place.

haruspex said:
yes, you can do it that way, but it is simpler just to apply V2/R to each in the first place.
Ah okay, I'll look into that formula. Do you know what this equation is known as/called? I'd like to look into how this is derived because it's not immediately apparent to me at the moment.

Thewindyfan said:
Ah okay, I'll look into that formula. Do you know what this equation is known as/called? I'd like to look into how this is derived because it's not immediately apparent to me at the moment.
V2/R? You can derive it from V=IR and P=IV.

Likes Thewindyfan
haruspex said:
V2/R? You can derive it from V=IR and P=IV.
Thanks! I'll do that now and work it through.

Thewindyfan said:
P=I2R. Put I=V/R. Voltage is same across parallel resistors. So, power will be inversely proportional to the resistance value.

Likes physics user1 and Thewindyfan
cnh1995 said:
P=I2R. Put I=V/R. Voltage is same across parallel resistors. So, power will be inversely proportional to the resistance value.
Thanks, thought there was more to it than there actually is haha.

Does P= V^2/R works also for series circuits? In series i is constant and V vary right?

Cozma Alex said:
Does P= V^2/R works also for series circuits? In series i is constant and V vary right?
It works fine if V is the voltage across the entire branch and R the total resistance of the branch.

Also, if you can determine how the total voltage divides across each of the series resistors then you can apply V2/R to each of them individually and sum the results.

Likes physics user1

Related to Understanding Power in Parallel Circuits: V^2/R vs. i^2R

1. What is the difference between V^2/R and i^2R in parallel circuits?

V^2/R and i^2R are both equations used to calculate power in parallel circuits. V^2/R represents the power dissipated by the individual resistors in the circuit, while i^2R represents the power dissipated by the entire circuit as a whole.

2. Which equation should I use to calculate power in a parallel circuit?

It depends on what you are trying to calculate. If you want to know the power dissipated by each individual resistor, use V^2/R. If you want to know the total power dissipated by the circuit, use i^2R.

3. How does changing the resistance in a parallel circuit affect the power?

As the resistance in a parallel circuit increases, the power dissipated by each individual resistor (V^2/R) decreases. However, the total power dissipated by the circuit (i^2R) remains the same.

4. Can I use V^2/R or i^2R to calculate power in a series circuit?

No, V^2/R and i^2R are only applicable to parallel circuits. In a series circuit, the power can be calculated using the equation P = i^2R, where i is the current and R is the total resistance of the circuit.

5. How can I use the power equations to optimize my parallel circuit?

By manipulating the resistance values in a parallel circuit, you can adjust the power dissipated by each individual resistor (V^2/R) to achieve a desired overall power dissipation (i^2R). This can help optimize the efficiency and performance of your circuit.