Understanding PV Diagrams: Analyzing Work, Heat, and Temperature Changes

• Thread starter lc99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diagrams
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of work and heat along different paths, and the relationship between change in internal energy and temperature for an ideal gas. The speaker's reasoning for path 1 being the greatest for work and heat is correct, but their notation may be confusing. The final state of the system has a higher internal energy due to the temperature increase from the PV relationship, and this is consistent with isotherms on a graph representing higher temperatures.
lc99

Homework Statement

upload_2018-5-5_22-2-56.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I was wondering if the answer is all statements are true. I want to know if my reasons are correct:

1) the work done by the system is greatest along path 1 because work done is equal to the area under the path. The path under 1 is clearly largest of the two other paths.

2) if Ub > Ua , then Q is greatest along path b. Since the delta U for the other paths are equal to that of path 1, the equation becomes Q=W for all paths as delta U can be ignored in comparison. Q is largest for path 1 because W is largest.

3)Heat is absorbed by the system because Q is positive since deltaU is positive. When Q is positive, this means that heat is added to the system (same as heat aborbed by the system).

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-5_22-2-56.png
    upload_2018-5-5_22-2-56.png
    48.1 KB · Views: 606
Physics news on Phys.org
It all looks good to me except for the first part of your statement 2 where you said
lc99 said:
2) if Ub > Ua , then Q is greatest along path b.
There is no path b. But the rest of your statement 2 appears to be correct. You are right that ΔU is the same for all paths, so you don't need to worry about ΔU when comparing paths for Q. But, still, I wouldn't write Q = W.

TSny said:
It all looks good to me except for the first part of your statement 2 where you said
There is no path b. But the rest of your statement 2 is right. Also, you are right that ΔU is the same for all paths, so you don't need to worry about ΔU when comparing paths for Q. But, still, I wouldn't write Q = W.
oops , you are right. i meant path 1. Also, I guess it was easier to understand it if i wrote Q=W.

Also, regardless of statement 2, it's true that change in U is the same for all of them, but I am unsure if change is U increases? I would think U increases. Is there any information that would say so?

lc99 said:
Also, regardless of statement 2, it's true that change in U is the same for all of them, but I am unsure if change is U increases? I would think U increases. Is there any information that would say so?
Consider the product PV for the initial and final states. Which state has the higher value for PV? What does that tell you about the temperatures for the initial and final states? For an ideal gas, how is U related to temperature?

TSny said:
Consider the product PV for the initial and final states. Which state has the higher value for PV? What does that tell you about the temperatures for the initial and final states? For an ideal gas, how is U related to temperature?
Ahh. That makes sense. U is higher in the final state because of the temperature increase due to PV relationship.

Also, is it also correct to say that temperature increases because isotherms tend to be up and into the graph which represent higher temperatures?

lc99 said:
Also, is it also correct to say that temperature increases because isotherms tend to be up and into the graph which represent higher temperatures?
Yes.

1. What is a PV diagram?

A PV diagram is a graphical representation of the pressure-volume relationship of a thermodynamic system. It shows the changes in pressure and volume as the system undergoes a process.

2. What are the axes on a PV diagram?

The horizontal axis represents volume, usually in units of liters or cubic meters. The vertical axis represents pressure, usually in units of atmospheres or pascals.

3. How is work represented on a PV diagram?

Work is represented by the area under the curve on a PV diagram. The larger the area, the more work is done by the system.

4. What does the slope of a PV diagram indicate?

The slope of a PV diagram indicates the change in pressure (ΔP) divided by the change in volume (ΔV). This is known as the system's pressure-volume or PV constant.

5. How can I use a PV diagram to analyze a thermodynamic process?

A PV diagram can be used to determine the work done by a system, the change in internal energy, and the heat transferred during a process. It can also help identify whether a process is isothermal, adiabatic, or isobaric.