PV Diagram Isothermas and Isochloric Processes

• Thread starter lc99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diagram
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of heat flow and work for two processes, DA and AB. The answer chosen is C and it is deemed to be correct. It is noted that for both processes, heat flows into the gas and for process AB, W > 0 implies that Q > 0 due to the fact that deltaU = 0 for an isothermal process. The conversation ends with the acknowledgment of good work and gratitude for the help.
lc99

Homework Statement

upload_2018-5-5_22-21-42.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

These questions are kinda tricky for me even though i might get the right answer. I just want to know if my reasonings are correct.

The answer i chose is C. For process DA, W = 0 , so delta U = Q. Q = 3/2nR(deltaT). Temp increases along DA while temp decreases along BC. So DA has a positive Q.

For process AB, W = nrt(ln(vf/vi)) . since Vf>Vi, W is positive so Q is positive.

For both processes, Q is positive which means heat flows into the gas.

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-5_22-21-42.png
    upload_2018-5-5_22-21-42.png
    42.5 KB · Views: 927
Physics news on Phys.org
lc99 said:
For process AB, W = nrt(ln(vf/vi)) . since Vf>Vi, W is positive so Q is positive.
Why does W > 0 imply that Q > 0 for process AB?

Otherwise, everything looks OK.

TSny said:
Why does W > 0 imply that Q > 0 for process AB?

Otherwise, everything looks OK.
Oh. Cause deltaU = 0 for a isothermic process. Since W is positive, Q is positive.

Likes Chestermiller
lc99 said:
Oh. Cause deltaU = 0 for a isothermic process. Since W is positive, Q is positive.
OK. Good work.

TSny said:
OK. Good work.
Thanks for the help!

Related to PV Diagram Isothermas and Isochloric Processes

1. What is a PV diagram?

A PV diagram is a graphical representation of the relationship between pressure (P) and volume (V) of a gas at a constant temperature. It is used to visualize the changes in pressure and volume as the gas undergoes different processes.

2. What are isothermas and isochoric processes?

An isotherm is a process in which the temperature of a gas remains constant while its pressure and volume change. An isochoric process, on the other hand, is one in which the volume of a gas remains constant while its pressure and temperature change.

3. How are isothermas and isochoric processes represented on a PV diagram?

On a PV diagram, an isotherm is represented by a horizontal line, as the temperature remains constant. An isochoric process is represented by a vertical line, as the volume remains constant.

4. What is the significance of isothermas and isochoric processes on a PV diagram?

Isothermas and isochoric processes help to visualize the changes in pressure and volume of a gas under different conditions. They also provide information about the work done and heat exchanged during the process.

5. How are isothermas and isochoric processes different from each other?

The main difference between isothermas and isochoric processes is that one involves a constant temperature (isotherm) while the other involves a constant volume (isochoric). This results in different changes in pressure and work done for each process.