Understanding Radius of Convergence in Power Series Calculations

In summary: It is not true that the ratio test does not work "in many cases". It ALWAYS works. However, it is not always "useful". For example, if \(\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n\) converges and b_n= a_n/2, then \(\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} b_n\) also converges. But if you try to use the ratio test to find the radius of convergence of \(\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} b_n\) you get \(\displaystyle \lim_{n\to\infty} \
JulienB

Homework Statement

Hi everybody! I'm a little struggling to fully understand the idea of radius of convergence of a function, can somebody help me a little? Are some examples I found in old exams at my university:
Calculate the radius of convergence of the following power series:
a) ∑(x-1)j/(2j + 3j)
b) ∑(1 + j + j2)⋅xj
c) ∑(2j + 3j)⋅xj

Homework Equations

Root test, ratio test

The Attempt at a Solution

So I found a solution for each of them, but I don't know if it's right and I will include a few questions I have here and there:

Let's first see if I get the "methods" right:
I want to try first the ratio test because the computation is easier. And here is my first question: if lim sup j→∞ |aj+1/aj| = 1, I cannot conclude anything and I should instead run the root test, is that right? Or is the convergence radius R = 1 anyway?

For a), I run the ratio test and get:

aj+1/aj = (2j + 3j)/(2j+1 + 3j+1) = 1/3

That means that R = 3 and that ∑(x-1)j/(2j + 3j) absolutely converges for |x-1| < 3 ⇔ |x| < 4. Is that correct or am I completely missing the point? What does it really mean that the power series converges absolutely for |x| < 4?

b) This time I'm going to try the root test:

(1 + j + j2)1/j = (j2(1 + (1/j) + (1/j2)))1/j
= (1 + (1/j) + (1/j))1/j

I notice that 1 ≤ 1 + (1/j) + (1/j) ≤ 2 for any j ≥ 2, therefore

11/j ≤ (1 + (1/j) + (1/j))1/j ≤ 21/j
11/j → 1
21/j → 1
(1 + (1/j) + (1/j))1/j → 1

Therefore R = 1 and ∑(1 + j + j2)⋅xj absolutely converges for |x| < 1.

c) It's very similar to a) so I run the root test this time:

(2j + 3j)1/j = (3j)1/j⋅(1 + (2/3)j)1/j
= 3⋅(1 + (2/3)j)1/j → 3 because:

11/j ≤ (1 + (2/3)j)1/j ≤ 21/j

Therefore R = 1/3 and ∑(2j + 3j)⋅xj absolutely converges for |x| ≤ 1/3.

Are those right? Any remarks about the topic?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.Julien.

Physics news on Phys.org
JulienB said:

Homework Statement

Hi everybody! I'm a little struggling to fully understand the idea of radius of convergence of a function, can somebody help me a little? Are some examples I found in old exams at my university:
Calculate the radius of convergence of the following power series:
a) ∑(x-1)j/(2j + 3j)
b) ∑(1 + j + j2)⋅xj
c) ∑(2j + 3j)⋅xj

Homework Equations

Root test, ratio test

The Attempt at a Solution

So I found a solution for each of them, but I don't know if it's right and I will include a few questions I have here and there:

Let's first see if I get the "methods" right:
I want to try first the ratio test because the computation is easier. And here is my first question: if lim sup j→∞ |aj+1/aj| = 1, I cannot conclude anything and I should instead run the root test, is that right? Or is the convergence radius R = 1 anyway?

For a), I run the ratio test and get:

aj+1/aj = (2j + 3j)/(2j+1 + 3j+1) = 1/3

That means that R = 3 and that ∑(x-1)j/(2j + 3j) absolutely converges for |x-1| < 3 ⇔ |x| < 4. Is that correct or am I completely missing the point? What does it really mean that the power series converges absolutely for |x| < 4?

b) This time I'm going to try the root test:

(1 + j + j2)1/j = (j2(1 + (1/j) + (1/j2)))1/j
= (1 + (1/j) + (1/j))1/j

I notice that 1 ≤ 1 + (1/j) + (1/j) ≤ 2 for any j ≥ 2, therefore

11/j ≤ (1 + (1/j) + (1/j))1/j ≤ 21/j
11/j → 1
21/j → 1
(1 + (1/j) + (1/j))1/j → 1

Therefore R = 1 and ∑(1 + j + j2)⋅xj absolutely converges for |x| < 1.

c) It's very similar to a) so I run the root test this time:

(2j + 3j)1/j = (3j)1/j⋅(1 + (2/3)j)1/j
= 3⋅(1 + (2/3)j)1/j → 3 because:

11/j ≤ (1 + (2/3)j)1/j ≤ 21/j

Therefore R = 1/3 and ∑(2j + 3j)⋅xj absolutely converges for |x| ≤ 1/3.

Are those right? Any remarks about the topic?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.Julien.

For (a): the statement ##|x-1| < 3## is correct, but the statement ##|x| < 4## is wrong.
In (b) the ratio test would also work, and would be easier.
(c) is OK.

Likes JulienB
Ray Vickson said:
For (a): the statement ##|x-1| < 3## is correct, but the statement ##|x| < 4## is wrong.
In (b) the ratio test would also work, and would be easier.
(c) is OK.

Cool thanks. Yeah for a) I quickly realized my mistake that if x is negative, then it would be wrong. Should I just let |x - 1| < 3 then unless the problem specifically asks for |x|?
For b) I used the root test just to have some variety. About the ratio test, it says on Wikipedia that it does not work in many cases but is vague about which: would you happen to know when? At first I was under the impression that it was when |an+1/an| = 1, but now I think that's not it.Thank you very much for your answer. :)Julien.

\
Remember that your series also had an [itex](x- 1)^j[/itex] term. So your ratio is NOT just [itex]\left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\right|[/itex], it is [itex]\left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\right|\frac{|x- 1|^{j+1}}{|x- 1|^j}= \left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\right||x- 1|[/itex]. The power series converges absolutely if and only if that is less than 1 so if and only if [tex]|x- 1|< \frac{1}{\left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\right|}= \frac{1}{R}[/tex].

Should I just let |x - 1| < 3 then unless the problem specifically asks for |x|?
|x- 1|< 3 is the same as -3< x- 1< 3. Adding 1 to each part, -2< x< 5. That cannot be written in terms of |x|.

About the ratio test, it says on Wikipedia that it does not work in many cases but is vague about which: would you happen to know when?
The ratio test will not work for many numerical series. For example, [tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty n^3[/tex] does not converge but the ratio test gives [tex]\frac{(n+ 1)^3}{n^3}[/tex] which goes to 1 so the ratio test does not work. For a power series, there will always be some values of x that make it less than 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes JulienB
@HallsofIvy Thank you that was a very clear explanation.Julien.

HallsofIvy said:
|x- 1|< 3 is the same as -3< x- 1< 3. Adding 1 to each part, -2< x< 5.
The last inequality should be -2 < x < 4. Geometrically, the inequality |x - 1| < 3 represents the numbers that are within 3 units of 1.

Likes JulienB

What is the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence is a mathematical concept that is used to determine the set of values for which a given series will converge. It is the distance from the center of the series to the nearest point where the series will no longer converge.

How is the radius of convergence calculated?

The radius of convergence is typically calculated using the ratio test or the root test, which are two methods for determining the convergence or divergence of a series. These tests involve taking the limit of the ratio or root of the terms in the series.

What does a larger radius of convergence indicate?

A larger radius of convergence indicates that the series will converge for a larger set of values. This means that the series will have a wider range of convergence and can be evaluated for more values without resulting in an error or divergence.

Can the radius of convergence be negative?

No, the radius of convergence cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents a distance. If the radius is negative, it means that the series does not converge at all, and therefore, has no radius of convergence.

How is the radius of convergence used in real-world applications?

The radius of convergence is used in many areas of science and engineering, such as in physics, chemistry, and economics. It is used to determine the accuracy and validity of mathematical models and to make predictions based on data. It is also used in numerical analysis to approximate solutions to differential equations and other complex problems.