Understanding Smith Charts and TL Equations

• Thread starter Marcin H
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charts
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Smith Charts and TL equations in solving a problem involving finding the normalized impedance and Gamma. The speaker is unsure of how to find the angle using the information given and is seeking clarification on how to use the distance on the Smith Chart to find the angle. They also mention a method seen in a YouTube video where a line is drawn through the normalized impedance point, but are unsure if this is the correct approach.
Marcin H

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 7.07.53 PM.png

Homework Equations

Smith Charts
TL equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am having a hard time understanding how smith charts work. for this problem in part a, I know we have to find the Normalized impedance first which is:

.5 + j0

And then we have to go to our smith chart to find Gamma. I can plot .5 +j0, but then I am not sure what to do from there. I drew a circle from the center to .5 on the smith chart, but I don't know how to find Gamma using the information given. I think I found the magnitude of gamma correctly (.348) but I don't know how to find the angle. How can we use l=0.4lambda to help us here? Using a formula in the book:

theta = (2d/lamda)*360˚ --> gives me theta=288 but I don't think that is right and I am unsure what to do with that value...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 7.07.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 7.07.53 PM.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 1,017
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you take a picture of what you did on the Smith Chart, so we can see what you were doing?

might be a bit hard to se, but I put a dot at the normalized impedance and then drew a circle at that radius. I believe I found the magnitude correctly by taking the distance from the center of the circle to the normalized impedance and then checking the length on the bottom ruler. I'm confused by what the distance tells me on the smith chart. l=.4lambda. How can I use that to help me find the angle? I believe the magnitude and angle will give me the generalized reflection coeff like part a ii asksEdit* I also noticed on some youtube videos that you're supposed to draw a line through the normalized impedance point and that will give you the angle. The line that intersects the very inner circle with the angles in degress on the smith chart. But I am not sure if that is correct. Would the angle simply be 0˚?

New Doc 2017-12-04_1.jpg

New Doc 2017-12-04_1.jpg

Attachments

• New Doc 2017-12-04_1.jpg
    New Doc 2017-12-04_1.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,152
Last edited:

1. What are Smith Charts and TL Equations?

Smith Charts and TL (transmission line) Equations are tools used in the field of electrical engineering to analyze and understand the behavior of transmission lines, which are used to transmit electromagnetic signals.

2. How are Smith Charts and TL Equations used in practice?

Smith Charts and TL Equations are used to design and optimize transmission line systems, such as antennas and RF (radio frequency) circuits. They can also be used to troubleshoot and analyze existing transmission line systems.

3. What are some benefits of using Smith Charts and TL Equations?

One of the main benefits of using Smith Charts and TL Equations is that they provide a graphical representation of complex mathematical equations, making it easier to visualize and understand the behavior of transmission lines. They also allow for quick and accurate calculations of important parameters such as impedance, reflection coefficient, and standing wave ratio.

4. Are there any limitations to using Smith Charts and TL Equations?

While Smith Charts and TL Equations are powerful tools, they do have some limitations. For example, they are primarily used for single-frequency analysis and may not accurately represent the behavior of transmission lines at multiple frequencies. Additionally, they do not take into account non-linear effects in transmission lines.

5. How can I learn more about Smith Charts and TL Equations?

There are many resources available for learning about Smith Charts and TL Equations, including textbooks, online courses, and tutorials. It is also helpful to practice using these tools with real-world examples and to consult with experienced engineers in the field.