Understanding the Chandrasekhar Mass Units for Relativistic Lane Emden Equations

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter MarkL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Units
In summary, the conversation discusses using Lane Emden and n = 3 (relativistic) to calculate the correct mass, known as the Chandrasekhar mass, which is approximately 1.4 Msun. It also mentions the equation Mtotal ∝ a3 and explains that at n=3, the density ρ cancels out. The symbols K and G are also mentioned, with K ∝ h c or Kg m3/sec2 and G ∝ m3/Kg/sec2. The conversation ends with the realization of a mistake and the request for a reference.
MarkL
TL;DR Summary
relativistic equation for mass give incorrect units using Lame Emden
Using Lane Emden and n = 3 (relativistic), I calculate the correct mass -- the Chandrasekhar mass (about 1.4 Msun)
The equation goes Mtotal ∝ a3, because at n=3, the density, ρ, cancels out.
a2 ∝ K/G = Kg2 → a3 ∝ Kg3. Here K ∝ h c or Kg m3/sec2 and G ∝ m3/Kg/sec2
This implies the mass, Mtotal units is Kg3

What is wrong, please...

Astronomy news on Phys.org
A reference would be helpful. Looking at the Wikipedia page, ##K=P/\rho^{1+1/n}##, which is ##P\rho^{-4/3}## in your case. That does not seem to me to have dimensions of ##\mathrm{[M]}^2##, but rather ##\mathrm{[M]}^{2/3}## if my late night algebra is correct. But that page doesn't mention a symbol ##a## anywhere, so it may be a symbol clash - which is why a reference would be helpful.

Likes MattieSaddler
Ibix said:
A reference would be helpful. Looking at the Wikipedia page, ##K=P/\rho^{1+1/n}##, which is ##P\rho^{-4/3}## in your case. That does not seem to me to have dimensions of ##\mathrm{[M]}^2##, but rather ##\mathrm{[M]}^{2/3}## if my late night algebra is correct. But that page doesn't mention a symbol ##a## anywhere, so it may be a symbol clash - which is why a reference would be helpful.
Thank you - I discovered my mistake. I will delete this post shortly.

a is in Lame Emden equations --- as in, r = a ξ

I guess I can't delete...

MarkL said:
I guess I can't delete...
No reason to delete the thread -- it has value to others. I'll go ahead and tie it off for you. :smile:

What are Chandrasekhar mass units?

Chandrasekhar mass units are a system of measurement used in astrophysics to describe the mass of a white dwarf star. They are named after the Indian astrophysicist Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar, who first proposed the concept in 1935.

What are relativistic Lane Emden equations?

Relativistic Lane Emden equations are a set of mathematical equations used to model the structure and evolution of stars, taking into account the effects of gravity and special relativity. They were first developed by the German physicist Max von Laue and the Austrian mathematician Robert Emden in the early 20th century.

Why is it important to understand the Chandrasekhar mass units for relativistic Lane Emden equations?

Understanding the Chandrasekhar mass units for relativistic Lane Emden equations is important because it allows us to accurately model and predict the behavior of stars, particularly white dwarf stars. This can help us gain a better understanding of the universe and its evolution.

How are Chandrasekhar mass units related to the Chandrasekhar limit?

The Chandrasekhar limit is the maximum mass that a white dwarf star can have before it collapses into a neutron star or black hole. This limit is measured in Chandrasekhar mass units, with the exact value being approximately 1.4 times the mass of the sun.

Are Chandrasekhar mass units used in other areas of astrophysics?

Yes, Chandrasekhar mass units are also used in other areas of astrophysics, such as in the study of neutron stars and black holes. They are also used in cosmology to describe the mass of galaxy clusters and other large structures in the universe.