What is the density of hydrogen atoms in the Universe?

In summary, the conversation discusses various units, constants, and variables related to density calculations, including the units of meters, kilograms, degrees Kelvin, seconds, joules, and daltons. It also mentions various values for the mass of a hydrogen atom, the gravitational constant, and the Hubble constant, as well as the critical density and baryon mass ratio. Finally, it touches on the estimate of the density of the interstellar medium and the variability of average density in the universe.
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
I calculated a value of the average density in our universe of H atom equivalents per cm^3 based on values of cosmological variables from various sources: 2.4244x10^18 . A Wikipedia value for such a value in the interstellar media is very very much less: 10^6.
I am hoping a PFs participant can find my error or an explanation.
UNITS
m is meters​
kg is kiliograms​
K is degrees Kelvin​
s is seconds​
J is joules​
u is daltons = 1.66053906660(50)×10−27 kg​
1 pc = 3.085678 x 1016 m​
CONSTANTS
MH = mass of hydrogen atom = 1.007825 u​
= 1.673532784796145 ×10−27 kg​
G = gravitational constant = 6.6743 ×10−11 m3⋅/kg⋅s2
VARIABLES
H0 = 70 (km/s)/Mpc​
(This reference has an array of values for H0, each with an error range. The value 70 was calculated as a weighted average using the inverse of the square of the error ranges as multipliers.)​
1/H0 = 4.408 x 1017 s​
DENSITY CALCULATION
Ωm = 0.315 (total mass ratio to critical mass))​
Ωb = 0.15 x 0.315 = 0.04725 (baryon mass ratio)​
(I apologize for losing the URL from which I found 0.15)​
ρc = critical density = 3H2/8πG​
ρb = Ωb x ρc
= (3/8pi) H02/G = 4.0573 x 10-9 kg/m3
NH = current density of H atom equivalents =ρb / MH
= 2.4244 x 1018 per m3
DENSITY FROM WIKIPEDIA
matter is primarily in molecular form, and reaches number densities of 106 molecules per cm3

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
You have per ##m^3##. Wiki has per ##cm^3##. factor is ##10^6##.

Likes Buzz Bloom
Buzz Bloom said:
matter is primarily in molecular form

You're calculating the average density of hydrogen atoms over the entire universe, which includes the volume occupied by things like stars, planets, white dwarfs, and neutron stars, which can have densities many, many orders of magnitude larger than average, and also includes volumes like the "voids" between galactic superclusters, which can have densities orders of magnitude smaller than average.

You are then comparing this to an estimate of the density of the interstellar medium. You should not expect these two numbers to be the same (even after correcting for the units as @haruspex says).

Likes Buzz Bloom
Hi @mathman and @PeterDonis:

I much appreciate your helpful posts. My faulty intuition, even with mathman's correction, was that the variability of average density is much less than it apparently is.

Regards,
Buzz

1. What is the density of hydrogen atoms in the Universe?

The density of hydrogen atoms in the Universe is approximately 0.9 atoms per cubic meter. This means that for every cubic meter of space, there are about 0.9 hydrogen atoms.

2. How is the density of hydrogen atoms in the Universe measured?

The density of hydrogen atoms in the Universe is measured using various methods, such as spectroscopy and observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation. Scientists also use computer simulations to estimate the density based on the known distribution of matter in the Universe.

3. Why is the density of hydrogen atoms in the Universe important?

The density of hydrogen atoms in the Universe is important because hydrogen is the most abundant element in the Universe and serves as a building block for other elements. It also plays a crucial role in the formation and evolution of galaxies and stars.

4. Does the density of hydrogen atoms vary in different regions of the Universe?

Yes, the density of hydrogen atoms can vary in different regions of the Universe. For example, in dense regions such as galaxies and galaxy clusters, the density can be much higher than the average density in the Universe. On the other hand, in voids or low-density regions, the density of hydrogen atoms can be much lower.

5. How does the density of hydrogen atoms in the Universe compare to other elements?

Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the Universe, making up about 75% of its total mass. This means that the density of hydrogen atoms is much higher than that of other elements. For comparison, the density of helium atoms, the second most abundant element, is only about 8% of the density of hydrogen atoms.