Understanding the Redox Reaction of Lead Acetate in an Electrotic Cell

• Thread starter mrjeffy321
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Redox
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of writing a redox reaction for Lead (II) Acetate electrolytically becoming Lead Dioxide and Lead at the anode and cathode of an electrochemical cell. The speaker mentions using the redox reaction of Lead Sulfate in a car battery as a model, but is unsure if the Acetate ion should be included in the reaction. After some discussion, it is determined that the correct reaction is 2Pb+2(aq) + 2H2O(l) ---> PbO2(s) + Pb(s) + 4H+(aq), with the option to include the acetate ion as a spectator ion. The conversation also briefly mentions the use of
mrjeffy321
Science Advisor
I am trying to write a redox reaction for Lead (II) Acetate electrolytically becoming Lead Dioxde and Lead at the anode and cathod of an electrotic cell.
I am using the redox reaction of Lead Sulfate in a car battery as a model, but mine doesn't look right.

I am not sure if I need to include the Aceate ion in the reaction or not, since nothing happens to it.

Oxidation : Pb+2(aq) + 2H2O(l) ---> PbO2(s) + 4H+(aq) + 2electrons
Reduction: Pb+2(aq) + 2electrons ---> Pb(s)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Redox: 2Pb+2(aq) + 2H2O(l) ---> PbO2(s) + Pb(s) + 4H+(aq)

Does that look right?

Or perhaps with the acetate,
2Pb(C2H3O2)2(aq) + 2H2O(l) ---> PbO2(s) + Pb(s) + 4H+(aq) + 2C2H3O2-

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mrjeffy321 said:
Redox: 2Pb+2(aq) + 2H2O(l) ---> PbO2(s) + Pb(s) + 4H+(aq)
Does that look right?
Yes, that's correct.
mrjeffy321 said:
2Pb(C2H3O2)2(aq) + 2H2O(l) ---> PbO2(s) + Pb(s) + 4H+(aq) + 2C2H3O2-
2Pb(C2H3O2)2(aq) + 2H2O(l) ---> PbO2(s) + Pb(s) + 4H+(aq) + 4C2H3O2-

You could write it like that if you want to, but it's not necessary since the acetate ion is, like you said, a spectator ion.

Let me guess, using PbO2 electrodes for a chlorate cell?

Last edited:
Cesium said:
Let me guess, using PbO2 electrodes for a chlorate cell?
How right you are.
well, actually, for a perchlorate cell, which I will also use for chlorate (its the same cell).

1. What is redox?

Redox, short for reduction-oxidation, is a chemical reaction in which one species loses electrons (oxidation) while another species gains electrons (reduction).

2. What is the purpose of redox reactions?

Redox reactions are an important part of many biological and chemical processes, including energy production, metabolism, and corrosion. They also play a key role in determining the chemical properties of substances.

3. How do you balance a redox equation?

To balance a redox equation, you need to ensure that the number of electrons lost by the oxidizing agent is equal to the number of electrons gained by the reducing agent. This can be done by adding coefficients to the reactants and products, as well as adjusting the charges on each species.

4. What is an oxidizing agent?

An oxidizing agent is a substance that causes another substance to lose electrons in a redox reaction. It is itself reduced in the process, gaining electrons from the substance being oxidized.

5. How do redox reactions relate to the concept of oxidation states?

Oxidation states, also known as oxidation numbers, are a way of keeping track of the distribution of electrons in a redox reaction. The oxidation state of an element indicates the number of electrons it has gained or lost in a reaction. In a redox reaction, the change in oxidation state of each element must balance out to zero.