Understanding the Use of Controlled Not Gates in Quantum Computing

• Thread starter ShayanJ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operator
In summary, the author is saying that the relative phase between two states can be removed by using the operator
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
In an article I'm reading, the author defines an operator as below:
[itex]
\hat{U}_{CNOT}(\theta)=\exp{(-i \theta \hat{U}_{CNOT})}=\hat{1} \cos{\theta}-i \hat{U}_{CNOT} \sin{\theta}
[/itex]
Where [itex] \hat{U}_{CNOT} [/itex] is the controlled not gate(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controlled_NOT_gate).
Then the operator is applied to a state of the form [itex] (\alpha |0\rangle+\beta|1\rangle) \otimes |\psi\rangle [/itex] and the resulting state is:
[itex]
(\alpha e^{-i \theta} |0\rangle+\beta \cos{\theta} |1\rangle)\otimes |\psi\rangle-i \beta \sin{\theta} |1\rangle \otimes (\hat{\sigma}_x |\psi\rangle)
[/itex]
where [itex]\hat{\sigma}_x=\begin{pmatrix}
0&1\\
1&0
\end{pmatrix} [/itex]
Then the author says:
The relative phase [itex] e^{i \theta} [/itex] between [itex]|0\rangle[/itex] and [itex] |1\rangle [/itex] is a complication in the calculations that will follow.To avoid this problem, instead of [itex] \hat{U}_{CNOT}(\theta) [/itex],we will use interactions of the form [itex] \hat{Z}_A(\theta) \hat{U}_{CNOT}(\theta)[/itex],where[itex] \hat{Z}_A(\theta)=(\exp{(i \hat{\sigma}_z \theta/2)}\otimes \hat{1})[/itex]...The single-bit rotation exactly undoes the extra relative phase produced by [itex] \hat{U}_{CNOT} [/itex],while changing nothing else.
Now my problem is that I can't understand how that happens. I don't know how to work with [itex] \hat{Z}_A(\theta)\hat{U}_{CNOT}(\theta) [/itex].I'll appreciate any suggestion.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
In an article I'm reading
Meaningless without citations.
Which article - where - when - who is the author?

But I think this is just a handy notation to remove a nasty bit of math.
Z does what it is defined to do. The author is only using it by defining it.
See what happens next.

Yeah,I wasn't clear enough,sorry.
This is the link to the article:http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0108132
But the part that I mentioned,doesn't need much knowledge about the other parts of the article.
My problem is that when I apply [itex] \hat{Z}_A(\theta) [/itex] to [itex] \hat{U}_{CNOT}(\theta)(\alpha |0 \rangle +\beta|1\rangle)\otimes |\psi \rangle [/itex],there is still a relative phase between [itex] |0\rangle [/itex] and [itex] |1\rangle [/itex] which leads me to think I'm missing sth.
Also I can't get help from the article itself,because it doesn't contain calculations that I want.

Last edited:

Related to Understanding the Use of Controlled Not Gates in Quantum Computing

1. What is a problem with an operator?

A problem with an operator refers to an issue or error that occurs when using an operator in a mathematical or logical expression. Operators are symbols or words that represent a specific operation, such as addition or comparison, and can cause unexpected results or errors if used incorrectly.

2. How do I know if I have a problem with an operator?

You may have a problem with an operator if your code is not producing the expected output or if you are receiving error messages related to operators. Common issues include using the wrong operator for a specific task, using incorrect syntax, or not understanding the order of operations.

3. What are some common errors associated with operators?

Some common errors associated with operators include division by zero, using the wrong operator for a specific task (e.g. using the assignment operator instead of the equality operator), and not considering the order of operations when writing mathematical expressions.

4. How can I troubleshoot a problem with an operator?

To troubleshoot a problem with an operator, you can start by carefully reviewing your code and double-checking the syntax and usage of operators. You can also use debugging tools, such as printing out values or stepping through your code, to identify where the problem may be occurring. Additionally, referring to documentation or seeking help from others can also be helpful in troubleshooting operator issues.

5. How can I prevent problems with operators in the future?

To prevent problems with operators in the future, it is important to have a strong understanding of how operators work and their proper usage. This includes knowing the order of operations, understanding the differences between operators (e.g. assignment vs. equality), and carefully checking for potential errors before running your code. Regularly reviewing and testing your code can also help catch any operator issues early on.