Understanding What Experience Means

• Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experience
In summary: It can be defined as any temporally extended perception, whether it be of sensory input or introspective thought. However, there is no one definitive definition of experience and it can be interpreted in various ways. It is the result of the stimulation of specific sensory organs and organelles in an organism by the environment and includes the awareness and storage of experiencial information gained from these stimuli.
By the way, I really shouldn't call it "human" experience. There is no reason to believe that other animals do not experience events in the same way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Feeling better :biggrin:

Perhaps it would be better to say five levels of the experience hierarchy.

You could even group them loosley along the same lines of what the different sciences study, ex.
physics
chemistry
biology
psychology/social sciences

The last one, a certain level of consciousness, is more a sublevel, but whatever, I think you get the point.

I didn't want to impose a restriction on the question I put so as to broaden the dicussion as much as possible...but I get your point. I think we have to include all experiences into the definition otherwise it wouldn't be a very good one...generalisation helps at this point.

loseyourname said:
Ha, you're making me get really specific here. I'm speaking of mental experience when I say human experience. The human body going through an experience without the mind being aware of it is no different than an inanimate object going through the same experience (although the effects may be different, depending on the phyical and chemical properties of the matter in question).

I'm going to have to go back and see what rosewater is talking about, though. I can't think of more than these two definitions for experience.

Let me put it this way.

The human body has enough receptors and sensors and responders to pick up most and/or all of the information (ie: stimulus) being presented to that body at anytime during the life of the body. No?

So, at anyone time during our lives we are experiencing the exact measurments of every bit of matter in our vicinity and beyond. We are experiencing the X-rays, Gamma rays, news casts as radio frequencies, all sorts of info that we screen and filter so we can concentrate on our Alpha Bits in the morning. The brain is as much of a sensor as the nerve ending that serves as a sensor on the end of your big toe. But it does have a filtering process.

The experience of all of this info is being "experienced" by these receptors, sensors and responders but the information is shunted past the area of the brain that processes the info into a consciousness or awareness of the info and re-directs the info to the subconscious storage areas. The experience has happened and has been recorded. It is also useful in day to day survival and interaction. But, the "mind" is not aware of the experiences it has absorbed... yet... it is benefiting, as is the rest of the body, from the information gleened from the experience(s).

Just another example of an autonomic experencial behavior modifer.

I don't define experience as some sort of airy fairy magical thing that happens when you sneeze at the same time as your girlfriend.

Experience, to me, is one thing and one thing only. The stimulation, excitation and reaction of chemicals and or neurons.

This concludes my broadcast with regard to this subject. Thank you for putting up with me. I hope the experience for you was at least half of what it was for me!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we're just going to have to disagree here. I still don't think you have effectively been able to group a mental experience with a physical experience. A big toe separated from the foot will still have the same sensory capability for a brief while, but it will not experience pain in the same way that the mind does while the toe is still attached. I don't see how you can downplay the importance of awareness. You can't honestly believe that a block of concrete experiences rainfall in the same way that you do.