Understanding White Gaussian Noise: Probability of Inclusion in [0.25A, 1.15A]

In summary, the conversation discusses a random process X(t) that is composed of a constant A and white Gaussian noise N(t) with a spectral density of 1. The process is then filtered using a system with impulse response h(t)=u(t)exp(-t/T). The question asks for the probability that X(t) falls within a specific interval after being filtered. The concept of white Gaussian noise is briefly explained, and a book recommendation is given for further understanding. The speaker apologizes for not being able to solve the problem and suggests that someone with expertise in communications engineering may be able to provide assistance.
nightworrier

Homework Statement

Consider the random process X(t)=A+N(t), where A is a constant and N(t) is a white Gaussian
noise with spectral density equal to 1. The process X(t) is filtered with a system with impulse
response h(t)=u(t)exp(‐t/T).
Compute the probability that X(t), once filtered, is included in the interval [0.25A, 1.15A].

I have problems about white gaussian noise. I actually don't know the concept. I appreciate if you help me to figure it out this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Nightworrier
Many here will know this much better than i do, but I can say that Gaussian white noise is noise which is present at all frequencies at equal amplitude.
Essentailly if Gaussian white noise is filtered by some process X(t) you'll get an output from X(t) that looks a lot like the frequency-wise transfer function.
Hope that might be of value!

I remember a wonderful book by F.R. Connor on Noise which may be available at your library.

Last edited:
I am actually not familiar with that. I am a mechanical engineer and far from the idea of signals just trying to learn by myself. Could you tell the solution of this problem ? I want to understand the concept.

Dear Nightworrier
I apologise that I am unable to solve this problem, which lies beyond my skill. The reference I mentioned is very good, but it has been 30 years since I even looked at this kind of work.
I make this apology in the hope that some kind communications engnner may see that you still do not have the help that you need.

I can provide a response to your question about white Gaussian noise. White Gaussian noise is a type of random process where the amplitude of the noise is independent of frequency and follows a Gaussian distribution. This means that the noise has equal power at all frequencies and is characterized by a bell-shaped curve.

In the context of your question, the random process X(t)=A+N(t) represents a signal with a constant amplitude A, which is being corrupted by white Gaussian noise N(t). The spectral density of the noise is equal to 1, which indicates that the noise has equal power at all frequencies. This type of noise is commonly found in many natural and man-made systems, such as electronic circuits and communication systems.

The process X(t) is then filtered with a system with impulse response h(t)=u(t)exp(‐t/T). This means that the signal is being passed through a filter that has a step function (u(t)) and an exponential decay (exp(-t/T)). The step function acts as a low-pass filter, allowing only low-frequency components of the signal to pass through, while the exponential decay acts as a high-pass filter, allowing only high-frequency components to pass through.

To compute the probability that X(t), once filtered, is included in the interval [0.25A, 1.15A], we need to consider the characteristics of the filtered signal. Since the filter only allows certain frequencies to pass through, the amplitude of the filtered signal will be dependent on the amplitude of the original signal A and the frequency components of the noise. As the noise has equal power at all frequencies, the filtered signal will also have equal power at all frequencies. This means that the amplitude of the filtered signal will also follow a Gaussian distribution.

To compute the probability, we can use the properties of the Gaussian distribution. The interval [0.25A, 1.15A] represents a range of values that the filtered signal can take. To find the probability, we need to calculate the area under the Gaussian curve within this interval. This can be done using a mathematical formula or by using a graphing calculator.

In summary, understanding white Gaussian noise is important in signal processing and communication systems. It is a type of noise that has equal power at all frequencies and follows a Gaussian distribution. By considering the characteristics of the filtered signal, we can compute the probability of the signal falling within a certain range of values.

1. What is White Gaussian Noise?

White Gaussian noise, also known as Gaussian white noise, is a type of noise signal that has a constant power spectral density and a Gaussian distribution of amplitude values. This means that the noise has a flat frequency spectrum and the amplitude values are randomly distributed around a mean value.

2. What causes White Gaussian Noise?

White Gaussian noise can be caused by a variety of factors, such as electronic components, thermal noise, and environmental factors. In many cases, it is an unwanted byproduct of electronic devices and can be minimized through proper design and shielding.

3. How is White Gaussian Noise different from other types of noise?

White Gaussian noise is different from other types of noise in that it has a flat frequency spectrum and the amplitude values follow a Gaussian distribution. Other types of noise, such as pink noise or brown noise, have different frequency distributions and amplitude characteristics.

4. What are some applications of White Gaussian Noise?

White Gaussian noise has various applications in science and engineering. It is often used in signal processing, communication systems, and modeling and simulation. It can also be used as a benchmark for testing and evaluating different algorithms and techniques.

5. How is White Gaussian Noise measured?

White Gaussian noise is typically measured in terms of its power spectral density (PSD), which describes the distribution of power across different frequencies. The noise can be measured using specialized instruments such as spectrum analyzers or by using mathematical techniques to analyze the signal.