Uneven Seesaw -> angular acceleration of motion

In summary: Thanks gneillIn summary, the student is attempting to calculate the angular acceleration of a seesaw system using equations for torque and inertia. They make the assumption that the masses on the end of the seesaw are point particles, which is deemed valid. However, they are unsure if the formula for angular acceleration they are using is appropriate for the instant of release. They also make some mathematical errors, such as subtracting in the formula for inertia and not accounting for the angle between the force vector and rotation arm. gneill provides clarification and suggests using the perpendicular component of the force for calculations.
louza8

Homework Statement

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/9151/screenshot20110501at113.png

Homework Equations

Angular acceleration = Torque/Inertia
Torque = Fd
Mass_moment_Inertia=mr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

->assume masses on the end of seesaw are point particles for calculating inertia. is this the correct thing to do?
->is this formula for angular acceleration fine for the instant at release?

I=mr^2
I=m[d-a]^2-ma^2
I=m[(d-a)^2 - a^2]

Torque = Fd
Torque = mg[(d-a)-a]

Angular acceleration= Torque/Inertia
[(d-a)-a]mg/[(d-a)^2 - a^2]m ---->cancel m from top and bottom
=g/(d-2a) ---->canceled (d-a)-a from the top and bottom (because equivalent to rg/r^2)

I think my maths at the end might be dodgy, maybe my assumptions are incorrect too.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edit: Or should I somehow be using the equations of motion for this one? I can't see how though :'(

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
louza8 said:

Homework Statement

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/9151/screenshot20110501at113.png

Homework Equations

Angular acceleration = Torque/Inertia
Torque = Fd
Mass_moment_Inertia=mr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

->assume masses on the end of seesaw are point particles for calculating inertia. is this the correct thing to do?
In the absence of other data, this assumption is valid.
->is this formula for angular acceleration fine for the instant at release?
the problem asks for the angular acceleration of motion, not just the angular acceleration at the point of release
I=mr^2
I=m[d-a]^2-ma^2
I=m[(d-a)^2 - a^2]
Why are you subtracting here?
Torque = Fd
Torque = mg[(d-a)-a]

Angular acceleration= Torque/Inertia
[(d-a)-a]mg/[(d-a)^2 - a^2]m ---->cancel m from top and bottom
=g/(d-2a) ---->canceled (d-a)-a from the top and bottom (because equivalent to rg/r^2)

I think my maths at the end might be dodgy, maybe my assumptions are incorrect too.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edit: Or should I somehow be using the equations of motion for this one? I can't see how though :'(
You should write the expression for torque as a function of theta.

Last edited by a moderator:
So...
I=m(d-a)^2+m(a)^2?
Torque=d*F*sin(theta)
angular accel=Torque/I
m*g*sin(theta)*((d-a)-a)/m(d-a)^2+m(a)^2
angular accel=g*sin(theta)*((d-a)-a)/(d-a)^2+a^2 ------>factorised denominator, got rid of m

Is this any better? Is that the expression for Torque required?

Torque=d*F*sin(theta) when theta is the angle between the force vector and the radius vector (rotation arm). In this case the angle θ as shown in the diagram is not this angle.

It might be better to think in terms of finding the component of the force that is perpendicular to the lever arm, multiplying that by the radius vector magnitude. In this case I think you'll find that the perpendicular components of the force are given by m*g*cos(θ).

Attachments

• Fig1.jpg
    Fig1.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 556
Ahh I see thanks gneill. Yeah, the diagram illustrates your point nicely.*blushes* silly mistake.

Related to Uneven Seesaw -> angular acceleration of motion

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity with respect to time. It measures how quickly an object's rotational speed is changing.

2. How is angular acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's rotational speed is changing, while linear acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's linear speed is changing. In other words, angular acceleration involves rotational motion, while linear acceleration involves straight-line motion.

3. How is angular acceleration of motion calculated?

The formula for calculating angular acceleration is angular acceleration = (final angular velocity - initial angular velocity) / time. It is measured in units of radians per second squared (rad/s²).

4. How does an uneven seesaw affect the angular acceleration of motion?

An uneven seesaw can affect the angular acceleration of motion by creating an unbalanced torque on the system. This can cause the seesaw to rotate at an uneven rate, resulting in a non-uniform angular acceleration.

5. What factors can influence the angular acceleration of motion on an uneven seesaw?

The main factors that can influence the angular acceleration of motion on an uneven seesaw are the distribution of mass on the seesaw, the distance of the mass from the pivot point, and the forces acting on the seesaw, such as gravity and friction. Other factors can include the shape and size of the seesaw, as well as any external forces acting on it.