Uniform Circular Motion of coffee cup

In summary, the conversation is about solving for the minimum coefficient of static friction required for a coffee cup to stay on a car's dash while taking a corner. The equation Fc = mv^2/R is mentioned, but the person asking for help does not know how to apply it. A suggestion is made to read about friction and make an effort before asking for help.
buonastella

Homework Statement

1. Kim has her coffee cup on her car's dash when she takes a corner with radius 4 m and 20 km/h. What is the minimum coefficient of static friction which would allow the coffee cup to stay there without slipping?

Homework Equations

Can someone show me the steps in how they answered it

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I have to use Fc = mv^2/R but I just honestly have no idea what I'm doing

Physics news on Phys.org
For the cup, which force provides centripetal acceleration?

Do you know what a static coefficient of friction is? If not, you need to do some reading.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friction

You need to show some level of effort before people will help you. Asking for somebody to "show me the steps" will not get you a happy glowing response. If you are stuck on a particular part please come back and ask.

Likes Titan97

1. What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is the motion of an object along a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object is moving at the same speed and covering the same distance in the same amount of time throughout its motion.

2. How is uniform circular motion related to a coffee cup?

In the context of a coffee cup, uniform circular motion refers to the motion of the cup as it rotates on a flat surface. This type of motion is commonly seen when stirring a cup of coffee or when a spinning top is placed on a table.

3. What is the role of centripetal force in uniform circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object in circular motion. In the case of a coffee cup, the centripetal force is provided by the friction between the cup and the surface it is rotating on.

4. How does the radius of the circular path affect uniform circular motion?

The radius of the circular path has a direct impact on the speed of the object in uniform circular motion. The larger the radius, the faster the object needs to move in order to maintain a constant speed.

5. Can an object in uniform circular motion ever have a changing speed?

No, in uniform circular motion, the speed of the object remains constant. However, the direction of the object's velocity is constantly changing as it moves along the circular path.