Uniform distribution of a disc

In summary: Yes, they are independent. To find them, you would do the following: find the derivative of f(x) with respect to y, then use that to find the derivative of f(y).
lordslytherin
1. Homework Statement
Here is the link to the old thread, https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=349730
i tried posting but it doesn't seem active. I don't understand how they get the second pdf as i tried it and got the first pdf. I also don't know how to do the double integral as what would the limits be?

2. Homework Equations
2. Homework Equations
Limits for checking pdf
Pdf itself

3. The Attempt at a Solution
i got the same as rosh300 in the first attempt.
Any help would be appreciated

f_(r,theta)={1.5(r^2)/pi, for r E [0,1] and theta E [0,2pi]??
0 otherwise
by doing the double integral formula this gives 1 as required. However i don't know how to find the marginal distributions of X and Y

Physics news on Phys.org
lordslytherin said:
. I also don't know how to do the double integral as what would the limits be?

Open up any decent multivariable calculus textbook, or see here.

f_(r,theta)={1.5(r^2)/pi, for r E [0,1] and theta E [0,2pi]??
0 otherwise
by doing the double integral formula this gives 1 as required.

What is the defintion of uniform (in this context)? Does [itex]\frac{3}{2}\pi r^2[/itex] seem uniform to you?

However i don't know how to find the marginal distributions of X and Y

Well, what is the definition of a marginal distribution? Apply that definition.

gabbagabbahey said:
Open up any decent multivariable calculus textbook, or see here.

What is the defintion of uniform (in this context)? Does [itex]\frac{3}{2}\pi r^2[/itex] seem uniform to you?

Well, what is the definition of a marginal distribution? Apply that definition.

So it should be integral between 0 and 1 of the integral on (1/pi) between +and - (1-(x^2))^.5 dydx but when i worked this out the answer was 0.5 rather than 1.

No 3/2(pi)r^2 doesn't seem uniform but when i changed it to polar coordinates the double integral gave a value of 1.

lordslytherin said:
So it should be integral between 0 and 1 of the integral on (1/pi) between +and - (1-(x^2))^.5 dydx but when i worked this out the answer was 0.5 rather than 1.

Show the steps of your calculation.

No 3/2(pi)r^2 doesn't seem uniform but when i changed it to polar coordinates the double integral gave a value of 1.

Doesn't the problem ask for a uniform distribution?

gabbagabbahey said:
Show the steps of your calculation.

Doesn't the problem ask for a uniform distribution?

firsly i did:
integral of (1/pi) dy evaluated between (1-(x^2))^0.5 and -(1-(x^2))^0.5 giving (2/pi)(1-(x^2)^0.5
then integral of (2/pi)(1-(x^2)^0.5 dx between 0 and 1 is (2/pi) x (pi/4) = 0.5

I see what you mean about the uniform part, i was just trying lots of methods to get it to work.

lordslytherin said:
then integral of (2/pi)(1-(x^2)^0.5 dx between 0 and 1 is (2/pi) x (pi/4) = 0.5

Why are you only integrating from 0 to 1, y ranges from -1 to 1 for an entire unit circle (centered at the origin).

gabbagabbahey said:
Why are you only integrating from 0 to 1, y ranges from -1 to 1 for an entire unit circle (centered at the origin).

that's why you're a homework helper, damn that's annoying thanks very much. so the marginal distribution for y is f(y)= integral of (1/pi)dx between 1 and -1 which gives 2/pi

and the marginal distribtuion of x is f(x) =integral of (1/pi)dy between (1-(x^2)^0.5 and -(1-(x^2)^0.5= (2/pi)(1-(x^2))^0.5

so they are independent?

Related to Uniform distribution of a disc

1. What is a uniform distribution of a disc?

A uniform distribution of a disc refers to a statistical model where the probability of an event occurring at any point on a circular disc is equally likely.

2. How is a uniform distribution of a disc different from a uniform distribution of a square?

In a uniform distribution of a square, the probability of an event occurring at any point on the square is equally likely. However, in a uniform distribution of a disc, the probability of an event occurring at any point on the circular disc is equally likely, and the probability decreases towards the edges of the disc.

3. How is a uniform distribution of a disc used in research and experiments?

A uniform distribution of a disc can be used to model the behavior of random variables in various experiments and research studies. It can also be used in simulations and mathematical models to analyze and predict outcomes.

4. What are some real-world examples of a uniform distribution of a disc?

A few examples of a uniform distribution of a disc include the distribution of water molecules on the surface of a pond, the distribution of planets and asteroids in our solar system, and the distribution of data points on a circular graph or chart.

5. How is a uniform distribution of a disc related to other probability distributions?

A uniform distribution of a disc is a special case of a continuous probability distribution, where all points on the disc have an equal probability of occurring. It is also related to other distributions such as the normal distribution, as it can be approximated by a normal distribution when the disc is large enough.