Universal and Existential Qualifiers

In summary, the statement "there is no largest irrational number" can be expressed as "for all real numbers x, there exists a real number y and natural numbers p, q, r, s such that y is larger than x and both p/q and r/s are irrational numbers".
TyroneTheDino

Homework Statement

Express the following statement using only quantifiers. (You may only use the set of Real and Natural Numbers)

1. There is no largest irrational number.

Homework Equations

##\forall=## for all
##\exists##=there exists

The Attempt at a Solution

I express the existence of irrational numbers by saying
##(\exists x \in \Re)(\forall p,q \in\mathbb{N})(\frac{p}{q}\neq x)##

But now saying that x is not the largest irrational number is tricky to me. The book i am using said the answer would look quite complex.

To prove that there is a bigger irrational number I begin by stating that another irrational number exists, and prove that is bigger.

My thinking is that If I write:

##(\forall x \in \Re)(\exists y\in\Re)\wedge(\exists p,q,r,s \in \mathbb{N})\ni[{(\frac{p}{q}\neq x) \wedge(\frac{r}{s}\neq y)}\wedge( y>x)]##

It proves that there is always a bigger irrational number than the one that is being considered, but I'm not completely sure my reasoning makes sense

Physics news on Phys.org
TyroneTheDino said:

The real number -1 is a problem. The natural number 0 is too.

TyroneTheDino said:
But now saying that x is not the largest irrational number is tricky to me. The book i am using said the answer would look quite complex.
How would you say it if you can use other sets than ##\mathbb R## and ##\mathbb N##? I would start with that, and then try to rewrite the statement using only those sets.

TyroneTheDino said:

Homework Statement

Express the following statement using only quantifiers. (You may only use the set of Real and Natural Numbers)

1. There is no largest irrational number.

Homework Equations

##\forall=## for all
##\exists##=there exists

To prove that there is a bigger irrational number I begin by stating that another irrational number exists, and prove that is bigger.

My thinking is that If I write:

##(\forall x \in \Re)(\exists y\in\Re)\wedge(\exists p,q,r,s \in \mathbb{N})\ni[{(\frac{p}{q}\neq x) \wedge(\frac{r}{s}\neq y)}\wedge( y>x)]##

It proves that there is always a bigger irrational number than the one that is being considered, but I'm not completely sure my reasoning makes sense

Note that you are not proving this, but only trying to express the statement. You can also express statements that are false such as "there are no irrational numbers".

1. What is the difference between a universal and existential qualifier?

A universal qualifier, denoted by the symbol ∀, is a logical symbol used to express that a statement is true for all elements in a given set. On the other hand, an existential qualifier, denoted by the symbol ∃, is used to express that there exists at least one element in a given set for which the statement is true. In simpler terms, a universal qualifier makes a statement about all members of a set, while an existential qualifier makes a statement about at least one member of a set.

2. How are universal and existential qualifiers used in mathematical logic?

In mathematical logic, universal and existential qualifiers are used to specify the scope of a logical statement. They are commonly used in quantified statements, where they help to define the range of values that the statement applies to. For example, the statement "For all x, x is an integer" can be represented using the universal qualifier ∀, while the statement "There exists an x such that x is an integer" can be represented using the existential qualifier ∃.

3. Can universal and existential qualifiers be used together?

Yes, universal and existential qualifiers can be used together in a quantified statement. This is known as a mixed quantifier statement, and it combines the properties of both qualifiers. For example, the statement "For all x, there exists a y such that x + y = 10" uses both the universal qualifier ∀ and the existential qualifier ∃ to specify that for all values of x, there exists at least one value of y that satisfies the equation.

4. How are universal and existential qualifiers represented in symbolic logic?

In symbolic logic, universal and existential qualifiers are represented using the symbols ∀ and ∃, respectively. They are typically written before the variable or variables that the statement applies to. For example, the statement "For all x, x is a prime number" can be represented as ∃x(x is a prime number), while the statement "There exists an x such that x is an even number" can be represented as ∃x(x is an even number).

5. What is the importance of universal and existential qualifiers in logical reasoning?

Universal and existential qualifiers play a crucial role in logical reasoning as they allow us to make statements about sets of objects and their properties. They help to define the scope and specificity of a statement, allowing us to make precise and accurate conclusions based on logical rules. In mathematics and other scientific fields, universal and existential qualifiers are used extensively to make quantified statements and prove theorems.